• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If a person records me, without my Knowledge, can I Sue or Press Charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

halandshawnie

If a person records me, without my Knowledge, can I Sue or Press Charges? 2nd Quest.

What is the name of your state? MI

Is it under any circumstances okay to replay tape recordings made with out somebody's knowledge? (Such as a hidden tape recorder)

What is during one conversation, the person recording states "you know we're being recorded, right"

(These are two different recordings."

Last edited:

stephenk

how do you know you were recorded, other than the one time the person said you were being recorded? why is the person recording your conversations?

H

halandshawnie

I will do my best to make this as short as I can. I am employed at a property management company. Besides me, our office staff includes 4 maint. techs, 1 other leasing agent, the maint. supervisor(my husband) and a manager. One of the maint. techs whom I will call "Bob". Bob has broken several company rules, but has always made it a point to state that he can't be fired because he's black. Well because of stealing electric from a resident, having an illegal truck (expired plates), and having a confrontation with a resident (all big no-nos in our company), "Bob" was fired. He now has went to the main office with 5 tapes he wants them to listen to.

One was a phone conversation (where you can just hear "bobs" voice) with a manager from the main office.

Another was a conversation with the maint. supervisor in "bobs" home, after his vehicle was ticketed. (During which "Bob" said you know we're being recorded, right?"

And 3 others, which we belive were made from a recored hidden in our office( Bob has seemed to know a lot about things we never spoke to him about lately, so I do tend to belive this.)

JETX

"how do you know you were recorded, other than the one time the person said you were being recorded? why is the person recording your conversations?"
*** Just curious.... why the hell did you ask these questions??? They have absolutely NO relevance to the question that was asked!!!

So, lets try to get this back ontrack:
"Is it under any circumstances okay to replay tape recordings made with out somebody's knowledge?"
*** In Michigan, no.

Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539c: A private conversation legally cannot be overheard or recorded without the consent of all participants. Illegal eavesdropping can be punished as a felony carrying a jail term of up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000.

In addition, any individual who divulges information he knows, or reasonably should know, was obtained through illegal eavesdropping is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539e. Civil liability for actual and punitive damages also are sanctioned. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539h.

The eavesdropping statute has been interpreted by one court as applying only to situations in which a third party has intercepted a communication, an interpretation that makes it legal for a participant in a conversation to record that conversation without the permission of other parties. Sullivan v. Gray, 324 N.W.2d 58 (Mich. Ct. App. 1982).

The state supreme court stated in a July 1999 ruling that a participant in a conversation "may not unilaterally nullify other participants' expectations of privacy by secretly broadcasting the conversation" and that the overriding inquiry should be whether the parties "intended and reasonably expected that the conversation was private." Therefore, it is likely that a recording party may not broadcast a recorded conversation without the consent of all parties. Dickerson v. Raphael, 601 N.W.2d 108 (Mich. 1999).

Under the Michigan statute, a parent may not vicariously consent to a recording for a minor child. Williams v. Williams, 603 N.W. 2d 114 (Mich. Ct. App. 1999).

It is a felony to observe, photograph or eavesdrop on a person in a private place without the person's consent. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539d. A private place is a place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from intrusion or surveillance, but not a place where the public has access. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539a.

H

halandshawnie

Question 2

If our main office decides to listen to these tapes, and somebody made a statement out of anger that was derogatory, or racist, could they be fired for the statement, even if it was just something that flew out of their mouth, due to the fact that this person continually got to break rules, and no action was taken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">