• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal eviction by girlfriend. What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonickrick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I came home last night to our apartment to find the lock changed on our door. We live in a converted hotel, and due to her needing a receipt (she is a registered offender and was required proof of residence) the 'room' was in her name, although I made payments. We rent monthly, incase that is important. I understand she can be held liable for illegal eviction but what do I do about my stuff? Almost everything in the place is mine, most from my previous residence. Please, what are my legal resources? The police say its a civil matter and are reluctant to get involved.

nonickrick

[HR][/HR]

there is none. It is a month by month. We came as a couple, does Ohio law not recognize me as a tennant even though the management recognizes me as such?

Proserpina

[HR][/HR]

there is none. It is a month by month. We came as a couple, does Ohio law not recognize me as a tennant even though the management recognizes me as such?

Yes, you're a tenant.

Unfortunately your only recourse might be through the courts; if the police won't see this as theft of your goods, that does narrow your options a great deal.

justalayman

[HR][/HR]

Well, her name is on something.

ultimately, you are a tenant. The only question is; who is your landlord; your ex GF or her landlord.

If she is not your landlord, then no, she cannot be held liable for an illegal eviction. That is only in a landlord tenant situation. If she is not your landlord, go to the landlord and get a duplicate key for your residence. If you are willing to move out, I would get your stuff and move on.

mmmagique

Well, her name is on something.

ultimately, you are a tenant. The only question is; who is your landlord; your ex GF or her landlord.

If she is not your landlord, then no, she cannot be held liable for an illegal eviction. That is only in a landlord tenant situation. If she is not your landlord, go to the landlord and get a duplicate key for your residence. If you are willing to move out, I would get your stuff and move on.
And if you do get a duplicate key, do your future self a favor. Go when you know she will not be there, get your stuff, (leave hers totally alone) and leave the key either with her or the landlord. Then be done with it. I know emotions are running high, and it feels like it would be nice to confront her once and for all. But really? It wouldn't. Trust me.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">