• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being sued because I'm hated??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmrw79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:

quincy

Probably the simplest solution would be to hire an attorney and sue your father-in-law for defamation. You certainly have good reason to pursue legal action against him.

However, my feeling is that your father-in-law's problem may be a medical one - and I recommend strongly that he be evaluated by medical experts. Depression, prescription drug use and abuse, a sudden change in hygiene, combativeness, theft, false accusations against those formerly close to him. . . . all of this suggests a mental/medical disturbance of some sort. The fact that he stole one of your husband's firearms is especially worrisome.

I am not, however, in the medical field, and hopefully doctors or nurses will post soon with their comments and suggestions.

It sounds as if you DO have some legitimate legal avenues you could explore, but I am not sure a legal route is the proper one to take here.

Good luck.

swrdmbo

I agree with the previous poster.It sounds like there could definitely be something physical causing your FIL to act this way (drug abuse being one of them). It could also be the start of dementia or some other physical ailment that is causing his erratic behavior.

Please rule out any medical problems that may cause this before your relationship is forever soured. It sounds as if this has happened quite suddenly.Something is not right. I hope this is something that can be corrected.

if it is the beginnings of dementia you have my sympathy.I know from experience you will have a long road ahead of you.Good luck.

I am not a doctor either.Just my opinion.

swrdmbo

The police detective put his "opinion" in his report and that is all that it is. Hopefully that will carry quite a bit of weight with the DA but it is ultimately up to the DA's office if charges are to be filed/prosecuted.

As for the civil suit...is it in small claims court? If so..there is often a mediator and things can be worked out,such as you agree to let him come get his things. The suit about the bike and dentures should not enter into it, and if it is brought up your husband should just inform the court that that is a separate case still pending, and as such, is not to be discussed.

Good luck to you. It is very sad to hear of such a breach within your family.

mmrw79

Thank you for your kind help. I hope that in the end every fairness will be granted to each of the parties concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">