• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

information subpoena - CPLR 5224

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluesmap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
new york state

if an information subpoena is sent from the attorney of judgment creditor to judgment debtor is this considered a judicial or a non-judicial subpoena?

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
new york state

if an information subpoena is sent from the attorney of judgment creditor to judgment debtor is this considered a judicial or a non-judicial subpoena?
Who signed it? Is there a line that says "So Ordered" with a judge's name under it?

bluesmap

the information subpoena is being signed by the attorney for plaintiff.

there is nothing stamped or signed by the judge.
there is not a line that says "so ordered"

BUT the attorney for judgment creditor (plaintiff) has signed it and under his name he writes "officer of the court"

is this a judicial subpoena?

latigo

I haven’t the slightest notion of how you define “Judicial” as opposed to “non-judicial” or for what usefull purpose.

BUT the subpoena you received it’s authorized by New York State law.

Furthermore, under NY Code Section 5224 the judge NEVER signs the post judgment subpoena. Only the judgment creditor or the attorney for the judgment creditor signs.

So stop with the silly word games looking for a legal hole to crawl through AND show up for the deposition with the documents requested.

Or expect to be dragged in front of a judge for a hearing - of which you will have not doubt as to whether it is judicial or non-judicial - to be held in contempt of court and ordered to pay the creditor’s attorney fees – for both the thwarted post judgment deposition and the contempt hearing.

bluesmap

I haven’t the slightest notion of how you define “Judicial” as opposed to “non-judicial” or for what usefull purpose.

BUT the subpoena you received it’s authorized by New York State law.

Furthermore, under NY Code Section 5224 the judge NEVER signs the post judgment subpoena. Only the judgment creditor or the attorney for the judgment creditor signs.

So stop with the silly word games looking for a legal hole to crawl through AND show up for the deposition with the documents requested.

Or expect to be dragged in front of a judge for a hearing - of which you will have not doubt as to whether it is judicial or non-judicial - to be held in contempt of court and ordered to pay the creditor’s attorney fees – for both the thwarted post judgment deposition and the contempt hearing.
if you dont know what a judicial vs non-judicial subpoena is then you shouldn't be answering the question. nowhere in my posts did i say anything about a deposition either.
nowhere in my posts did i say i was served with one either. maybe you have me confused with another thread

You Are Guilty

Next question, and the one that will solve your riddle - where is the subpoena returnable?

(Check out CPLR 2308 for the reasons why I ask.)

bluesmap

the subpoena is to be sent back to attorney for plaintiff at attorney for plaintiff's law office address.

for the purpose of cplr 2308 is the attorney for plaintiff considered an "officer of the court"?
pardon my ignorance a law dictionary says an attorney is an "officer of the court" but i dont know how you guys use that term.

THANKS, much obliged.

You Are Guilty

1) Attorney = officer of the court

2) Returnable in their office = non-judicial

1 + 2 = max fine of $50 for non compliance + whatever contempt proceedings the attorney can convince the judge to go for (usually not much unless there are multiple instances of non-compliance. For the first one on a subpoena not signed by a judge, most times you get a second chance to turn over the documents without any penalty. But not every time, so be warned).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">