• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inquiry of the possibility of filing a suit related to property theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanchun23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi, I am wondering if I can sue a person who hasn't returned my property upon my request.
I bought an used car from private party, it turns out to be a title jumping and my uncle who lives in Texas were willing to ask a favor to his friend who does the title job to register the vehicle I bought with my own money. so I handed my uncle every required document to transfer the title. However, it has been 2 month ever since he got the documents and every time I ask him about the progress of it, he claims it will be done soon. Having to go through this long waiting time for the process, I am starting to doubt there is a problem with the title as in He lost it by mistake or whoever has on his hand has disconnected his contact with him, not to mention his continuous excuses. I want to give a shot to file a lawsuit in hope of asking for the reimbursement of my vehicle, and waste of car insurance money. The thing bothers me is the car hasn't been registered under my name yet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would you think a guy in Texas could straighten out a title problem for a vehicle in Florida?

jeanchun23

Why would you think a guy in Texas could straighten out a title problem for a vehicle in Florida?
I wanted the title to be registered in Texas first, since I am a resident of Texas and then planning to transfer the title in Florida.
Your reply is irrelevant to my inquiry

Eekamouse

I wanted the title to be registered in Texas first, since I am a resident of Texas and then planning to transfer the title in Florida.
Wow. You're sure pretty. I see why your uncle isn't enthusiastically helping you. Hire a lawyer and ask your questions to him, sunshine.

eerelations

Sometimes the expert volunteers here need some clarification before they can assemble an answer for people posting questions here. And I certainly understand why Zigner asked you this question, because the same question was going through my mind as I read your original post.

I do have an answer for you (something that is relevant to your inquiry), however, as a result of your rudeness to my Esteemed Colleague here, I'm not going to bother posting it now. To paraphrase another Esteemed Colleague, go pay an attorney for your answers.

latigo

Okay, Miss Florida rude smart-aleck!

Now let's see if we can dredge out of you some missing information that is "relevant"!

Like where is the bloody car that you "bought with your own money" (which is nice to know that you didn't use someone else's money).

And whom, if anyone has it in their possession and/or control?

Have you - living in Florida - ever been in physical possession of the car that seems to have been purchased in Texas?

Because if never, and obviously not currently in possession, then whom do you propose to sue to replevin the vehicle? Or does it occur to you that you might be required to establish the vehicle's location and the person having it under their control?

And how such person came into possession and why you are entitled to replevin it. Like what documentary evidence can you produce showing that you and not some other person bought it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">