• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance not filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

midsouthmedic

What is the name of your state? AR.

After an auto accident, I was sent to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis. They were given insurance information several times, but never filed it. They have now filed a medical lein on me and have turned me over to a collection agency. They normally file the claims for you. But, for some reason have not filed mine. Now that the collection calls are coming, I feel harrassed due to them not filing the claim. Do I have a legal case for their actions?

hbreen

Why didn't you call them when you realized that they hadn't filed an insurance claim for you instead of letting it get to this point? I have had these types of things happen before and I have just called and they have said 'oops, our mistake' and taken care of it right away. While they are a hospital, humans run the place and they are not infallible, they do make occasional mistakes. Don't assume that you have a right to sue them just because they goofed! You aren't claiming malpractice, you're just saying that they didn't file your insurance claim!

JETX

midsouthmedic said:
Do I have a legal case for their actions?
No.
The problem is... YOU are responsible for your medical bills. The fact that the provider (hospital) may submit your bills to your insurance company is purely a 'service' that they provide (in return for presumably faster payment). The hospital has no obligation to bill YOUR insurance company. And your insurance company is not obligated to 'guess' whether you have a bill or not.

Pay the bills and then submit them to your insurance company.

Oh, and the 'they goofed' post is NOT correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">