• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance revoked after surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iotarhorho

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Happened in AZ (presently in CA)

Please let me know if this is the wrong forum...

About 3 years ago, my wife (fiancee at the time) started having pains in her abdomen that grew progressively more severe. She was reluctant to go to the doctor at first because we had no insurance at the time, but finally we went to the County Hospital to find out options for uninsured. We were happy to find out that she did qualify for at least partial assistance through Arizona's AHCCCS program for uninsured, and so we scheduled her to have her gall bladder removed as soon as possible, just a few days after that.

Even though all of her paperwork was processed and her insurance through the state was approved initially, several weeks later we received a bill for the full $13,000 due. We called the local AHCCCS representative at which time we found out that we could not be covered because she made too much money, even though during all of our initial calls and visits they said that she was fine. In the process of trying to fight this ourselves, the account was sent to collections and is now a huge black mark on our credit that we'll be paying on for years to come.

My question is, do we have any legal ground to stand on here? If we would have known the state wasn't going to cover the surgery, we would have at least gone to one of the nicer hospitals around for our $13,000, rather than to the County Hospital where she wasn't even given a private room to recover in. However we were very misled early on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">