• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Depositions Iowa Case, U.K witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

so-sue-me

Greetings,

I am a pro se civil litigant in Iowa due to being bankrupted by the defendant. I need to depose a witness in the United Kingdom. She is a nice gal but really doesn't want to get involved. Could someone please offer help with the following questions?:

1. What must do in order to make the subpoena binding in Britain?
  2. Do I have to file something in the district court in which the witness is domiciled?
  3. If so, what must I file (form number) and do I have to pay anything?
  4. I expect the witness to bring her solicitor, she is fearful of the defendant (threats have been made) and will not wish to cooperate.
  5. How much notice should I give the witness between the date of service and the intended day for the depo?
  6. How much notice is reasonable for the defendant in Iowa so he can't claim that notice was too short?

If I have missed anything please feel free to point it out.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

Get an attorney.

"I can't afford one!" you'll say.

However, the cost of serving, filing, recording and otherwise paying for an international deposition will be thousands if the witness is generally cooperative. If it's a fight, double that. If you don't have $400 for a couple of hours of an attorney's time, you don't have the $4,000 needed for your plan anyway, so give it up.

Ronin

You're in over your head as a pro se and your budget on this. Your out of state witnesses in U.K. and Florida (from your other post) do not have to come to you. It will be incumbent upon you to fly to those locations, make the necessary legal arrangements, and attempt to depose them yourself. Good luck with that...:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">