• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interpret statute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksampson1

Maine

I am trying to interpret the first four lines of this statute. It appears a constable can only serve process in his town or adjoining plantation (line 1), however, lines 2,3 and 4 ending with "is a party or interested" seems to imply that if you have "an interest" in other towns, you may also serve process. If someone pays me to serve process in town X, I have an interest even if I am only a constable in town Y. Thoughts?

Statute:

A constable may serve, execute and return upon any person in his town or in an adjoining plantation any writ of forcible entry and detainer, or any precept in a personal action, including those in which a town, plantation, parish, religious society or school district of which he is a member is a party or interested, but before he serves any process, he shall give bond to the inhabitants of his town in the sum of $500, with 2 sureties approved by the municipal officers thereof, who shall indorse their approval on said bond in their own hands, for the faithful performance of the duties of his office as to all processes by him served or executed. For every process that he serves before giving such bond, he forfeits not less than $20 nor more than $50 to the prosecutor.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

latigo

Makes no sense to me, but after reading that piece of grammatical butchery I’m wondering if some of our own imbecilic state legislatures aren’t moon lighting in Augusta.

But as a constable you would be entitled to request and receive a written opinion as to its meaning from Ms. Janet T. Mills, your State Attorney General.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">