• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsDink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was recently subpoenaed as a witness in a child custody case. We were in court for 2 days when the parties involved finally reached a mutual decision without going to trial. Once they reached a decision I no longer had to testify but the character reference letter had already been submitted to the court and the other party had access to it along with my home address. This individual has a history of menacing and abuse to the other parent however she never followed through on any of the charges. Now that the proceedings are over he has made contact with both myself and my husband through social media and I am sure he is attempting to intimidate me, as we have never been friendly. Although he has not made any threats, can this method of contact be considered intimidation of a witness or intimidation at all?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was recently subpoenaed as a witness in a child custody case. We were in court for 2 days when the parties involved finally reached a mutual decision without going to trial. Once they reached a decision I no longer had to testify but the character reference letter had already been submitted to the court and the other party had access to it along with my home address. This individual has a history of menacing and abuse to the other parent however she never followed through on any of the charges. Now that the proceedings are over he has made contact with both myself and my husband through social media and I am sure he is attempting to intimidate me, as we have never been friendly. Although he has not made any threats, can this method of contact be considered intimidation of a witness or intimidation at all?
No. It is not witness intimidation just because he has contacted you. The proceedings are over so it is definitely not intimidation of a witness. Why did you have a character reference letter submitted?

quincy

Legally, intimidation is unlawful coercion, extortion, duress, or willfully taking or attempting to take by putting another in fear of bodily harm.

Because you are no longer a witness, the contact the guy is making with you and your husband through social media would not be considered intimidation of a witness even if you were at this point threatened.

I suggest you eliminate from your life not only this fellow but the social media sites that this fellow frequents. If at any time you fear for your safety, or the safety of your family, however, you should contact the police.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">