• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NMJustice

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I am currently in a battle with a few of my neighboors. I have been living in my home for almost two years and it has been pure HELL!!! All hours of the night they are outside partying, smoking weed and god knows what else. I have made them aware of my annoyance, however they contiuned to do what they wanted to do anyways. In New Mexico we have a very good nuisance abatement law, however I had never turned them in. Yeah sure I had called the police a few times, but when the neighboors son was arrested for doing a drive by one a house a few doors down I stayed quiet. Well after all this me and my husband decided that we had enough and we are moving in a few days. About two weeks ago the neighboors were doing their regular thing smoking and drinking only this time my children had been standing at the door wathcing them. Well this annoyed me not to mention when I scolded my children about watching these idoits one of the punks threw a beer bottle in my front yard. We have collected so many beer bottles from our yard we could build our own brewery! So I decided that was it and went outside and asked the young man to pick up the bottle. He denied that he had thrown it but I had seen him with my own eyes. He acted like I had asked him to weed my garden he was so mad. He then started to cuss at me and tried to assult my husband at this point I called the police. The police didnt do anything of course because by the time they got here two hours later the kids were gone. So I decided to call the nuisance abatement team in our area and reported the problem homes that I am sandwiched between. Well of course they knew that I had called but who cares anymore we are moving at the end of this month. So anyways the detectives came to the neighboors home and told her that if she didnt stop her crap that they were going to take her home. So he appoligized to me and promised that she would keep her sons friends away. Well it was quiet for about one day and then it started again, so again I called the police. The neighboor was very upset and she said that the detective didnt say that her son couldnt have any of his friends there and that she was going to get an attorney. So I laughed and told her to do so. Anyways the problem still persisted and I finally resorted to using my vidoe camera to tape what is going, they have seen me tape them and are furious...she says that she is going to take me to court for invasion of privacy and violating her 4th admendment rights (go figure she'd know how to pronounce it) ....now my question is can she actually do that? I am not going above and beyond to get stuff on tape I am simply taping them from my window and all the footage that I have is them in their front yards. I thought or atleast I have been taught in my criminal justices classes that because I am not a officer of the law I am in no way violating her 4th admendment rights and the only expectation of privacy she has is behind closed doors and windows (with the few exceptions noted within the law) Am I right that she does not have the expectation of privacy when she is in her front yard and in public? If you all can help me understand this I would really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">