• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

invoking Promissory Estoppel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmcavalier

I live in Arizona, and was made an offer by a "friend" to come to California and live in his new fabulous mansion in Palm Springs, rent free with all utilities, cable and itnernet, plus $1,000 month (cash/net) to care for the house and grounds. I accepted his offer, and went home to Arizona to pack for my move and rented out my condo for 12 months to a tenant as of Aug.1, 2011. His offer was made to me in the end of May, and I have been preparing for the change ever since. I've made three round trips to his home in Santa Barbara and helped him pack up his own things, and paid someone to bring my valuable antiques that were stored in Washington to his house to be shipped when we were going to move to Palm Springs.

Now, he called and left a message on my cell phone that he want's his other friend to move there instead of me, and tells me he will always be loyal to his other friend and that he'd rather take care of him and "can't afford both of you" (a lie, since he has 5 houses in Santa Barbara and a mega-mansion in Palm Springs). I feel as if I've been duped in a very big way.

I now have no home at the end of this month, no additional income as he promised me, and only my clothes, bedroom furniture and kitchen items to take with me (I rented the condo "mostly furnished"). In addition I still need to pay my taxes, insurance, HOA dues and all the utilities I promised to pay while my tenant was in place. Without the additional income he promised me, I will be forced with living in my car or having to lose the condo.

When I asked him to compensate me for the damages, he stopped all communication and told me that we should "let our lawyers work it out" and not to contact him directly again.

I'm devastated, and don't have a lot of money to fight for my rights/damages in this case. Is it worth my trying to sue him, and do I need to do it in California? What would it cost me?

His volte face cost me thousands of dollars, and I only have a disability income of under 1150/mo. to live on anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">