• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint report and proposed scheduling order, witness and exhibit list

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evilsorcerer1

(Arizona) Is the witness and exhibit list or joint report and proposed scheduling order generally filed first? I'm the plaintiff in a civil matter in Mohave County Superior Court. Am I correct that the joint report and proposed scheduling order must be filled out by both the plaintiff and defendant?

quincy

(Arizona) Is the witness and exhibit list or joint report and proposed scheduling order generally filed first? I'm the plaintiff in a civil matter in Mohave County Superior Court. Am I correct that the joint report and proposed scheduling order must be filled out by both the plaintiff and defendant?
As the plaintiff in a civil action, you need to know the Rules of Civil Procedure. Some of what you don't know about filings can be answered by the court clerk.

Here are two links:

Arizona Courts, assorted links: https://www.azcourts.gov/rules/Recent-Amendments/Rules of Civil Procedure

Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure: https://govt.westlaw.com/azrules/Index?_lrTS=201660108043415668&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)

evilsorcerer1

What is my next step now?

I read through the Rules of Civil Procedure, although I read them recently and have been studying them. I'm going to divulge some more information about my case because it may help in the answering of my question/questions. I filed my complaint on 11/04/2015. The defendant, after receiving a summons from me, filed an answer to the complaint requesting the complaint be dismissed. After I received the answer I went to the courthouse to ask the clerk what my next step should be in the case. I was told I could file a response if I wanted to, so I did (on 12/28/2015). The response stated why I thought the complaint was valid and should not be dismissed. Since then I received the initial disclosure from the defendant and also mailed my initial disclosure to them. So what might be the next step I would take to move this case forward, because I am eager to do so?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I read through the Rules of Civil Procedure, although I read them recently and have been studying them. I'm going to divulge some more information about my case because it may help in the answering of my question/questions. I filed my complaint on 11/04/2015. The defendant, after receiving a summons from me, filed an answer to the complaint requesting the complaint be dismissed. After I received the answer I went to the courthouse to ask the clerk what my next step should be in the case. I was told I could file a response if I wanted to, so I did (on 12/28/2015). The response stated why I thought the complaint was valid and should not be dismissed. Since then I received the initial disclosure from the defendant and also mailed my initial disclosure to them. So what might be the next step I would take to move this case forward, because I am eager to do so?
Why would you ask the clerk for legal advice?

evilsorcerer1

Why I asked the clerk for legal advice.

Since I'm not an expert at law (not even close), and this lawsuit means a lot to me, I thought I should find out what my next step should be. I felt if I didn't take steps the case might be dismissed or delayed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since I'm not an expert at law (not even close), and this lawsuit means a lot to me, I thought I should find out what my next step should be. I felt if I didn't take steps the case might be dismissed or delayed.
The clerk at the court is prohibited by LAW from giving legal advice.

evilsorcerer1

As I was studying some time back, I came across a statement that stated it is forbidden to ask the clerk for legal advice, but also stated questions regarding formal procedures are allowed. When I asked the clerk she seemed to have no problem answering the question.

quincy

As I was studying some time back, I came across a statement that stated it is forbidden to ask the clerk for legal advice, but also stated questions regarding formal procedures are allowed. When I asked the clerk she seemed to have no problem answering the question.
First, following is a link to the Code of Conduct for Judicial Employees, Section 1-303, that tells you (in Rule 2.6 on page 11) what a court clerk is able to assist you with and what a court clerk cannot help you with.

https://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/0/admcode/pdfcurrentcode/1-303_New_1-13-10.pdf

Essentially, what you can learn from a court clerk is what you can learn from an online forum. A court clerk can provide legal information, explain court procedures, define legal terms, provide public case information ... but a court clerk cannot do research for a consumer to assist with a case or provide legal advice. It is a fine line that must be walked so that non-attorneys do not risk practicing law without a license.

Here is another link that you might find helpful - with downloadable guides to representing yourself (with a plaintiff checklist):

https://www.azcourts.gov/selfservicecenter/Self-Service-Forms

It is always recommended that, if you want to ensure all is properly drafted and filed, you consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review.

Good luck, evilsorcerer1.

Last edited:

evilsorcerer1

Response to a court order

I filed a civil lawsuit in Mohave County Superior Court (Arizona) for $900,000. I received a court order from the judge stating the lawsuit would go to arbitration because he didn't think the lawsuit was worth more than that. Can I file a response or some other document with my reasons why I feel the case should go to court for the original amount I requested.

quincy

I filed a civil lawsuit in Mohave County Superior Court (Arizona) for $900,000. I received a court order from the judge stating the lawsuit would go to arbitration because he didn't think the lawsuit was worth more than that. Can I file a response or some other document with my reasons why I feel the case should go to court for the original amount I requested.
Why would there be such a vast difference between what you think the suit is worth ($900,000) and what the judge thinks it is worth (under $50,000)?

Arbitration decisions can be appealed.

evilsorcerer1

According to the court order I received I didn't show allegations of physical harm in my original complaint, and I didn't request punitive damages in a prayer. I've already completed a motion with my allegations of physical harm and a request for punitive damages, but I haven't filed it yet. I'm checking if a motion is the proper method of disputing a court order. My only real worry is if the judge will even read the motion since he already made a ruling for arbitration. Do judges receive each document filed with the court in a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">