• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tenants With Rights of Surviviorship - TN - question on accessing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msbugg01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
I am a co owner of a home, on the mortgage, also on title as JTWROS.

House bought in 2004, I moved out in 2005, other owner agreed to re-finance or sell within a year, neither agreement took place.

In 2006 I filed a partition suit, the co owner never followed the court orders, hired & fired several different lawyers, the case was drug out over more than a year with no resolution, not to mention expensive, I eventually dropped the case frustrated like there was no end.

Since then the home has been in foreclosure 4 times, also the mortagage has been 120+ days late since the day I moved out so my credit is shot. Last week I received a notice from the Bankruptcy court in TN that the other owner has filed CH 13 and is asking for 5 years to pay back the 36k that is in arrears.

So as I see, there is still going to be no end in sight for me. He obviously is not going to get my name off the mortgage or sell & move out.

What can I file in CIVIL court or whatever court to request access to my half if the house? I either want to reside in my half or rent out my half. However he has changed the locks, since I moved & will not give me access peacefully.

PS, I went over this past weekend & tried to drill off the locks & change them myself (seeing that it is my house too) but he called the police & the police said I have to go to court & ask a judge to order the other owner to allow me access?

Please let me know how to get access.

You were on the right track before but got frustrated and dropped your case. Now you get to start all over from Square 1 and your credit is ruined. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

P.S. Don't enter into contracts with people you are "dating."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">