• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1crazygal

judgement: need help please!!!

What is the name of your state?
NC
I guess I have a judgement against me, even though I was not served with court papers or the findings of the hearing.
Now, I've received papers to declare exempt property. What I need to know is can they take my home, which is jointly owned, to satisfy this debt or will they place a lein on the home? I don't work and don't own a vehicle in my name. Also, how long can a creditor come after you for the debt owed? What time limitations are there? The creditor is Sears and I last paid on this sometime around 98 or 99. After you fall so far behind they wanted payment in full and that wasn't something I could do and still can't do. What are my options?

Last edited:

1crazygal

What do I need to do to "set aside" the judgment? Should I still file the "motion to claim exempt property" papers to cover me? I don't know anything about the judgment...(when it was placed against me or even the amount of it).

1crazygal

help!!!

Does anyone have any advice for this situation? Is this something I can handle on my own or should I contact a lawyer? Anything would be appreciated....thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">