• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement filed with DMV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwsounds

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The State is Virginia

This is a story so sit back. In 1994, I was in an accident in which I hit a car from behind. (minimal damage to both cars) The other driver said no problem everything was fine and later I find out he's suing me. I am driving my parents car and did not know there was no insurance on the vehicle. So I get sued and we settle. We worked out a deal with the attorney and we began monthly payments. So.. In 1999, (I am doing this piecemeal because most of this was done and I was unaware) the Attorney's office puts out a judgement on me.. I never received anything concerning the judgement, It has never showed on my credit report or anything.... There was some missed payments (I was unaware because my mother was paying these for me, since it was their car I was driving in 1994) and the attorney's office decides to send the judgment to the DMV on November 12, 2008. Now DMV has suspended my driving priveleges. I have contacted the Attorney's office, they have agreed to allow the DMV to reinstate my driving priveleges. DMV requires SR22 form. This is going to affect my insurance going forward.. Is there anything I can do to fight this? Is there a statute of limitations on filing a judgement?

dolebot

SR-22's are murder on insurance rates.

What likely happened - was that you were sued and they entered a default because you didn't respond. Either they used sewer service, or served the wrong guy, or somehow got around the legal process, or maybe someone else took the papers, who knows. Bottom line - you didn't get news of the lawsuit, and they won by default.

They sat on it forever. Since its a motor vehicle thing, and there was no insurance, a lot of states allow the judgment creditor to suspend the driver license of the judgment debtor as an effort to collect.

They probably sued you back in 1994. Judgments are normally good for 10 years, and can be renewed for another 10. Your recourse is to fight the judgment. It's possible to have the case overturned on lack of service.

Your first step is to find the case where you were sued. It could literally be anywhere, but most likely in either your own, or the person you hit - jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">