• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Personal Loan Statute Of Limitation In Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SCOTTNDEBRA

Georgia, In 1995 An Arrangement Was Made And I Borrowed 3000.00 From My Neighbor With A Repayment Plan, I Wrote Him Out Checks And Once He Became My Twins God Parent He Tore The Checks Up And Said I Did Not Have To Repay Him. Now 7 Years Later He Has Filed A Judment In Court And They Are Going To Start Taking Money By Garmesment. Is There A Statute Of Limitation On This Type Of Loan, It Was Put In Writing Original Loan But Not The Verbal Disalusion Of The Repayment. Can I File A Demur In This Situation. Please Let Me Know.

divgradcurl

Qre you saying that he already has a judgment against you? You have to have a judgment before you can garnish wages. How was the judgment obtained?

If there isn't a judgment yet, but there is a lawsuit filed, then you could bring up the statute of limitations as a defense. In Georgia, for a written contract, the SOL is 6 years, but that's six years from the date of last payment, not from the loan. You said you gave him a check -- if that check was given less than 6 years ago, then the SOL has not yet run. If it was more than 6 years ago, then you can use the SOL as a defense when you go to court.

Of course, if you've already been to court, or have a default judgment against you, this isn't going to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">