• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement without a SUBPOENA ????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sylbond

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just found out a credit card comapny placed a judgement on me. I never signed a SUBPOENA.....can this be done.....without my knowledge of the court date????? Is there something I can do????

I am planning on paying once I receive my tax return but until then I do not have the money....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nrknlknek

The Agreement you have with them probably allows them to do this. If you can satisfy the judgment (which now likely is the principal plus costs, interest and attorney's fees), then do that and get the court to issue you a staisfaction of judgment. No disrepect to the previous poster, but the company, now having their judgment, is unlikely to negotiate.

If you can't pay it in full, they will likely issue a writ of execution on your wages (garnishment), bank accounts etc.

sylbond

Someone told me to pay what I can ( which is the amount without the additonal fees) and send them a check stating on the back if cashed paid in full......do you think this would work???

nrknlknek

I do not unless that amount happens to be the amount of the judgment. My guess is that you would get a partial satisfaction. That said, if you can begin to pay on the judgment, you at least reduce the interest on the balance, so if you can, begin to make payments to the court and then pay the balance as soon as you are able. So doing shows some good faith which is important and possibly forstall post judgment collection actvities.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just found out a credit card comapny placed a judgement on me. I never signed a SUBPOENA.....can this be done.....without my knowledge of the court date????? Is there something I can do????

I am planning on paying once I receive my tax return but until then I do not have the money....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
1: What makes you think you would get a subpoena?
2: What makes you think you would have to sign anything in order to be properly served?
3: What makes you think you get to dictate the terms of the payment on your judgment?

Rexlan

The Agreement you have with them probably allows them to do this. If you can satisfy the judgment (which now likely is the principal plus costs, interest and attorney's fees), then do that and get the court to issue you a staisfaction of judgment. No disrepect to the previous poster, but the company, now having their judgment, is unlikely to negotiate.

If you can't pay it in full, they will likely issue a writ of execution on your wages (garnishment), bank accounts etc.
Yep ... my mistake. Misread that the judgment was already perfected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">