• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schwartz

What is the name of your state? WI My friend has a judgment in place which she is paying off for an apartment eviction. Then she got a horrible brain and muscle disorder called Huntington's Disease which leaves you eventually completely unable to work. She explained this to apartment person who did lower the amount. My question is can the state of Wisc. implement a judgment against some one who has a disease like ALS, Alzeimer's or HD.

schwartz

Wow, I guess that comes as a surprise to me

I thought that their would be some law involving some form of mental or neurological disorders as being exempt from this legal matter

Wisonsin

JETX

schwartz said:
I thought that their would be some law involving some form of mental or neurological disorders as being exempt from this legal matter
Why would you think that?? If that were the case, it would cause huge problems..... and every judgment debtor would be in court trying to prove that they were 'sick' and exempt from justice.
Further, why should the judgment creditor have to take a loss due to a debtors claimed 'illness'?

schwartz

This person has no assets, and no income as she is not working, and you say that they can get a judgment,even though they know they have no way to collect it??????

JETX

schwartz said:
This person has no assets, and no income as she is not working, and you say that they can get a judgment,even though they know they have no way to collect it??????
Yep, you got it.
The fact that the defendant may or may not be 'judgment proof' does not waive the claimants right to pursue the debt in court.

schwartz

WI I have to say one thing about the land lord who is the only person who could forgive this debt

She is fully aware of this poor womens condition as she was sent a copy of the Huntingtons Disease from a doctor and the horrible life she has to face which you obviously have no idea what this disease is and I suggest you look it up on your computer, Huntington's Disease

This lanlord is the kind 0f person who should be put in jail for squeezing this poor women dry when she became aware of the death sentence this woman was facing she could have done the right thing

schwartz

WI I will give you the definition of HD
Is a devating degenerative brain disorder for which there is no treatment or cure. It slowly diminishes the the affected person's ability to walk think and talk. The person becomes totally dependent on others for his care.

They have chorea ,cannot feed themselves, twitching, and cannot speak without slurring and have choking problems.

That is just a few things

JETX

schwartz said:
WI I have to say one thing about the land lord who is the only person who could forgive this debt
Correct. The only person that can waive a debt, with the exception of a court order, is the debt owner.

I suggest you look it up on your computer, Huntington's Disease
Why?? Last I checked, I don't have it. And I don't need to research the disease, as I see no real need to.

This lanlord is the kind 0f person who should be put in jail for squeezing this poor women dry when she became aware of the death sentence this woman was facing she could have done the right thing
And what kind of person does it take to assume that others should somehow 'absorb' the debts of a person simply because they became sick. Would you expect a lender to waive her obligation to repay a mortgage or car note?? Would you expect the local grocer to provide her with free grocery's?? Would you expect the local gas station owner to give her free gas?? Would you expect the local hospital and/or doctor to provide her with free medical services??
Of course not. Life (and debt) goes one, even though a person may have been dealt a bad hand in life.
Get a reality check.

schwartz

WI You said a court order would absolve this debt. Does this involve appearing in court before a judge who will make a decision. I thought you said there is no laws about mental or physical conditions

JETX

schwartz said:
You said a court order would absolve this debt.
No I didn't. What I said was: "The only person that can waive a debt, with the exception of a court order, is the debt owner."

Does this involve appearing in court before a judge who will make a decision.
Yes.

I thought you said there is no laws about mental or physical conditions
Again, you need to READ my responses as I never said that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">