• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment/Contempt of Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I have a judgment against me for a loan I had through a Credit Union. However, yesterday I was served (they actually gave the paper to my son) with a order to show cause to punish for contempt. Yesterdays date was the 6th of April and it states on the order that I was to appear in court on April 2, 2010. Im not sure what this means. Am I going to be arrested? Can they put you in jail for a debt?

Rexlan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I have a judgment against me for a loan I had through a Credit Union. However, yesterday I was served (they actually gave the paper to my son) with a order to show cause to punish for contempt. Yesterdays date was the 6th of April and it states on the order that I was to appear in court on April 2, 2010. Im not sure what this means. Am I going to be arrested? Can they put you in jail for a debt?
It sounds like you missed a hearing you were required to attend. Call the clerk at the courthouse and get it cleared up.

Yes, you can definitely be put in jail for contempt; however, that is different than your debt or civil litigation and the form you received is probably just that, a form.

That said, do not ignore it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">