• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kidnapped dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b. fal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michigan
my brothers ex girlfriend and her father stole my brothers dog, and refuses to give him back.
he has threatened my brother before, several times. what are his options?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

UseMeNot

I don't think this is about money. Suing for the value of the dog is not going to get the dog back safely. You have to approach this in a reasonable fashion. Be reasonable with the people who stole the dog. Let them know that their actions are in fact illegal and that you will pursue this if the dog is not returned. Let them know that you have documents to prove that the dog is in fact yours....vet bills, adoption paperwork, photos, etc. Keep the safety of the dog as 1st priority.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think this is about money. Suing for the value of the dog is not going to get the dog back safely. You have to approach this in a reasonable fashion. Be reasonable with the people who stole the dog. Let them know that their actions are in fact illegal and that you will pursue this if the dog is not returned. Let them know that you have documents to prove that the dog is in fact yours....vet bills, adoption paperwork, photos, etc. Keep the safety of the dog as 1st priority.
The OP came to the litigation forum asking legal questions. I gave him is LEGAL options. The police DEFINITELY need to be contacted, as something was stolen...

UseMeNot

Do the police want to be bothered by a stolen dog? You should try to work things out on your own first. The police will help you when you can't do it yourself. Would you call 911 for a sprained ankle? If my neighbor stole my guitar, I would approach them before the police were involved. You don't want to be the whiny neighbor and end up on Dr. Phil.

Katzk

The Police should definitely be contacted to file a report and establish a record. All documentation of the dog's ownership by your brother should be collected and copies supplied to the police. Based upon what the police are able to do at the time, you may consider filing for a restraining order and then suit for return of the dog. Good Luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do the police want to be bothered by a stolen dog? You should try to work things out on your own first. The police will help you when you can't do it yourself. Would you call 911 for a sprained ankle? If my neighbor stole my guitar, I would approach them before the police were involved. You don't want to be the whiny neighbor and end up on Dr. Phil.
The police are there to deal with stolen stuff...it's kinda their job. :rolleyes:
OP tried to work it out - they won't give it back. :rolleyes:
The police will help? But you just said they don't want to be bothered. :confused:
Who said anything about calling 911? :confused:
If the neighbor stole your guitar and wouldn't return it when you approached them, you'd call the police...but do the police want to be bothered by a stolen guitar?
As for Dr. Phil, I'd have to agree there. Why would anyone agree to be on that show?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">