• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Tenant Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liveXpensive20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Hello All!
I recently just concluded my landlord vs tenant civil case in which I was suing them for all my deposits and they counter sued me for breaking contract early. In summary, I won my deposits back, but they also won the rest of the money owed for the conclusion of the lease/contract term. Their attorney asked me (Because I didnt bring representation) if I would agree to let them keep the money they owed me and I just pay them what I owe less what they owed me (Since I owe slightly more than they do), he said if we did this we could vacate the judgements so they wouldnt be reported to my credit. Is this the best option? Or if I pay it in 10 days will it still vacate? Because he is their lawyer im not sure if he is in fact looking out for my best interest as well. Thanks.

protect your credit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Hello All!
I recently just concluded my landlord vs tenant civil case in which I was suing them for all my deposits and they counter sued me for breaking contract early. In summary, I won my deposits back, but they also won the rest of the money owed for the conclusion of the lease/contract term. Their attorney asked me (Because I didnt bring representation) if I would agree to let them keep the money they owed me and I just pay them what I owe less what they owed me (Since I owe slightly more than they do), he said if we did this we could vacate the judgements so they wouldnt be reported to my credit. Is this the best option? Or if I pay it in 10 days will it still vacate? Because he is their lawyer im not sure if he is in fact looking out for my best interest as well. Thanks.
You really do not want that judgement on your credit. Also..it will look much better on your background check to have the judgement vacated. (yes, every case filed in court is now a part of a background check...this is in addition to a credit check).

I think he is offering you a chance to just pay and get out of this with very little damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">