• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lanlord refuses to return deposit and is suing for harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deposit guy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC , NY

here is the situation..

I moved into a condo in NYC which was being leased by the owner. It's a two bedroom. The other bedroom was occupied with a tennant and I moved into the master bedroom

I explicitly asked for an 8 month lease due to job issues. The other tennant signed a 1 year lease when I moved in. I payed a huge security deposit of $3500 upon move in

I decided to move out and informed my landlord in January that I would be moving out on 4/1. He was worried about not being able to fill the room and offers to lower my rent if I stayed but I declined and moved out

then all of a sudden he said he was keeping my deposit and was going to use it to cover the rent because they couldn't fill the room. He said he was being nice in offering an 8 month lease and that I screwed him. Ultimately another tennant moved into my room. I was not made aware if any damages at this time. I was livid

upon multiple tikes trying to contact him he finally wired me a check for 1000.
Still short of my 3500. The other roomate moved out and got back everything
but 800.

I have repeatidly tried to contact him via cell, email, work to find out what's the deal but have been ignored. In one phone call he admitted that he's a "hustler" and wil do what it takes to make sure he doesn't loose money . I think he's in s tough bind financially.

I threatned a lawsuit and he replied that he is going to sue me for harrassment and damages and that I would be hearing from his lawyer. In fairness my contacting was excsessive but it was cause I was being ignored

I'm too strewed to worry about this so I emailed back saying fine...keep my money

I have no idea what damages he's reffering to. I moved out and someone else moved in. My guess is that there was none because the other tennant got back part of the deposit

am I screwed? I know I'm being royally f'd but at this point it's not worth the 2500

he is the type if guy though to sue to get money though

thoughts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">