• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawsuits and mailing lists

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gal galaxy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello. Actually, I live in Australia. As to how this limits my questions, I am not sure.

Anyway, here goes.

I have been in an argument with someone. He expelled me from a club. So, on a mailing list I named him and called him a "clown". He has found out that I wrote that on the mailing list.

Is "clown" sueable? It is an obscure mailing list about cookery.

justalayman

Hello. Actually, I live in Australia. As to how this limits my questions, I am not sure.

well, it limits any answer you may get because the folks here deal with US law. There may be somebody floating around that is familiar with Aus law but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to show up.

In the US, anybody can sue for just about anything. Prevailing is the problem. In your situation (if it were in the US), I doubt there would be a sustainable action. The closest thing to a tort would be defamation of character but simply calling a person a clown would not generally rise to the level of defamation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">