• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the lawyer says it is ok to be late with the paper work! can i trust my lawyer!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2MD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa

I had been sued by my tenant and my insurance company lawyer is representing me. We are at the beginning stages and i don't understand all that's involved. Anyway, I was forwarded with the court orders and a set of interrogatories which i had forwarded to the lawyer. According to the court papers, i had 15 days after the motion filed by me (my lawyer) to respond to the interrogatories. My lawyer had told me that someone from his office was going to contact me to go over and answer the interrogatories .. It has been now more than 3 weeks and no one has contacted me .. He is very hard to find but i spoke to his secretary after the dealine and she said not to worry as these things are never on time ..

is this the case? i thought since these were official court papers everything had to be on the dot. I just left the lawyer another message yesterday but he has not replied back.

I am not sure if i should trust the insurance company's lawyer or whether i should saty on top of things myself.

any suggestions? Thanks.

Rexlan

It's common to be late with everything but that is just because they are sloppy and lazy. It is your ass if it goes wrong, not his, so I would stay on top of everything. Also keep in mind that if/when you lose they will come to you for reimbursement -- check your policy.

Answer the interogs and return them to him with proof of delivery. You might top it off with a cover letter telling him that you expect your calls to be returned in a timely manner, that you expect court appearances and filings to be made on time and suggest that if he is too busy you will notify the Carrier and request new counsel. That should frost his ass, but hopefully get his attention.

You can also contact your insurance company and document the problem directly which is not a bad idea.

No, you can not hid the money. That is a fraudulent transfer and the court will nullify it. You can, however, protect the kids assets even though your name is on the account if you can document their source and purpose as you described. Transfers to the account now won't hold up and I would not try it ... that will only add to your difficulty.

Delete your other thread and keep it all together.

2MD

Ok, will do as u said . .seems like a good idea . .however, at this point, since i know we are late with the interrogatories, am i in trouble? or when you say "it is common to be late", you mean it is ok, but better not let it happen?

Last edited:

2MD

It's common to be late with everything but that is just because they are sloppy and lazy. QUOTE]

O, will do as u said . .seems like a good idea . .however, at this point, since i know we are late with the interrogatories, am i in trouble? or when you say "it is common to be late", you mean it is ok, but better not let it happen?

p.s. will delete the other post as soon as i figure out how!!! thanks.

seniorjudge

It's common to be late with everything but that is just because they are sloppy and lazy. It is your ass if it goes wrong, not his, so I would stay on top of everything. Also keep in mind that if/when you lose they will come to you for reimbursement -- check your policy.

Answer the interogs and return them to him with proof of delivery. You might top it off with a cover letter telling him that you expect your calls to be returned in a timely manner, that you expect court appearances and filings to be made on time and suggest that if he is too busy you will notify the Carrier and request new counsel. That should frost his ass, but hopefully get his attention.

You can also contact your insurance company and document the problem directly which is not a bad idea.

No, you can not hid the money. That is a fraudulent transfer and the court will nullify it. You can, however, protect the kids assets even though your name is on the account if you can document their source and purpose as you described. Transfers to the account now won't hold up and I would not try it ... that will only add to your difficulty.

Delete your other thread and keep it all together.
No, it's not okay to be late.

Re-read Rex's good advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">