• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lending Friend Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genuinehappyguy

Hi there,

Just a question out of curiosity... I lent my friend 2000$ to buy a vehicle on terms that he would pay me back 400$ each month. I was going to put my name on the ownership and let him put insurance on it, but he had to have his name on the ownership aswell to be the main insurance holder (this is in BC, Canada). Now since he's had this vehicle (which was already quite run down, (as you can image for 2000$), he's made it much worse (spray painting it).

It's been 4 months since i've seen a payment and he's moved even to ontario and wont return any of my emails / calls... Is there any legal action (even if just to scare him) I can take against him? Since I have no deal or any agreement written down, does that leave me out of luck? I can have some witnesses, but mostly friends and that doesn't seem to stable..

So is there anything I can do about this or did I just learn a very valuable lesson about lending out money to friends?

Dandy Don

Consult an attorney. The fact that there may be paperwork involving his getting insurance coverage may work out in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">