• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability and the law.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in texas and was talking to my mother about something and tend to think she's a little Paranoid. She has a trust fund and believes that she is legally liable for the actions of my brother and myself, although myself and him are both over the age of 18(which I assumes constitutes being a adult under the eyes of the law and thus we are held to be responsible in the eyes of the law). My brother has drug and alcohol problems and she assumes that if he were to crash his car and be charged with vehicular manslaughter that people would sue her. I have a CHL and she believes that if I were to defend myself, that she would be liable for paying for damages. In either of these situations, is she correct or just overly cautious?

curious90

Only those with actual law degrees and those with actual correct factual information please respond. Opinions will be ignored, As will jokes in my direction will be ignored.

OHRoadwarrior

She would only be liable in situations where there is a legal nexus between her and the action. If he crashed her car or she supplied him with alcohol and drugs for example. If you shot someone on her property or with her gun possibly.

Can't I say anything funny at all?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Only those with actual law degrees and those with actual correct factual information please respond. Opinions will be ignored, As will jokes in my direction will be ignored.
The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. :cool:

Eekamouse

No one has EVER faced the bizarre types of legal issues this poster comes up with, except totalwreck. Jes' sayin'.

curious90

No one has EVER faced the bizarre types of legal issues this poster comes up with, except totalwreck. Jes' sayin'.
stop saying that. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Sometimes i deal with hypotheticals (this thread), other times actual crimes such as my school issue. if you don't want to respond, then simply don't. If your not gonna supply ample information in regards to my question then honestly your opinion is trivial to me.for all i care about you can go respond to other peoples stuff and stop wasting my time and yours...:mad:

curious90

She would only be liable in situations where there is a legal nexus between her and the action. If he crashed her car or she supplied him with alcohol and drugs for example. If you shot someone on her property or with her gun possibly.

Can't I say anything funny at all?
go for it. I just wanted a serious answer to this question. Also the trust fund is considered its own separate legal entity correct? meaning that it could not be targeted by a plaintiff correct?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
stop saying that. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Sometimes i deal with hypotheticals (this thread), other times actual crimes such as my school issue. if you don't want to respond, then simply don't. If your not gonna supply ample information in regards to my question then honestly your opinion is trivial to me.for all i care about you can go respond to other peoples stuff and stop wasting my time and yours...:mad:
We don't do hypotheticals. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

It is considered separate, however, the terms of disbursement can be considered under certain circumstances.

go for it. I just wanted a serious answer to this question. Also the trust fund is considered its own separate legal entity correct? meaning that it could not be targeted by a plaintiff correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">