• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A little help about damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kingzito

What is the name of your state? CA

In the suit being filed against me - here are the claims for damages:
Lost investment: $350,000
Emotional Distress: $400,000
Punitive Damages: Based on defendant's net worth

Is this possible for a real property dispute? Which I guess has now transformed into a Fraud and Misrepresentation case.

The suit basically claims I promised over 4 years ago that my ex who I didn't put on the deed because the relationship was over but we tried for a year after anyway - feels she's entitled to 50% of my home. I have since moved on and have gifted (legally) to my new spouse interest in the home (it's been 2.5 years).

Emotional? How about all the emotional distress it is causing me to defend myself, raise a family, work and maintain a healthy marriage.

Can this ex's history of getting disability settlements from past employers come into play during a trial? This is one of the reason it didn't work out for us - constantly unemploying themself for a chunk of change and when that was over - would move on to the next. I couldn't stand the dishonesty. Also - what about their history of defaulting on loans - federal student and non-payment of fed and state taxes? Can this all come to light showing that this person is plainly after $$? Should my lawyer request tax returns or is that a guarded by privacy?

I have one kid ready to go to college next year and another the year after. This is causing a huge finanacial hardship - but I am defending myself. This person balked at going to a mediator when the realtionship was falling apart 4 years ago. They felt they were entitled to something and I said I didn't think so but why don't we go to an unbiased mediator and they will decide. We made the appt. and she balked and paying half the $250 dollar fee for the mediator.

:( :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">