• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loose German Shepherd attacked my little Maltese/Poodle while being walked on street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bassmetal5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My wife was walking our little Maggie, a 9 lb Maltese/Poodle Mix, with a leash, on a public street behind our house. Then a german shepherd came running at my wife she was petrified... The shepherd bit my little dog and threw her around many times. My wife was screaming at the top of her lungs, and the shepherd stopped, and the owner came out and said the dog will be all right... There is a leash law, and the incident was reported to the NY State Police, who turned it over to the dog warden... In the meantime we had to take Maggie to the Animal Hospital, and she has many bite wounds, and some internal injuries as there was blood in her urine, her right back leg was dislocated at the ankle and all the soft tissue around the bones were torn, and her ankle was broken. We have exceeded $1500 in Animal Hospital and Vet Bills to date, with more to come. On Monday she has to be put under anesthesia again, for a permanent splint to be placed on. If that doesn't work in 4-6 weeks she will require an additional orthopedic surgery. And our poor little dog is suffering due to the neighbor's neglect of controlling there animal and obeying the leash law. How do I go about recovering the funds already spent and future funds to be spent as a result of this? How to I press charges against them? In the meantime my little baby is suffering and may die as a result. I am so sad and so angry. Can anyone please advise me in this matter? Please... Thank you so much in advance...
NickWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Rexlan

Your costs are fully recoverable. If they do not exceed the limit you can file a simple case in small claims. Otherwise you will need to see an attorney and do it through the normal civil procedure.

You should first send the other dog owner a letter demanding payment. Don't prolong it or argue with them. Make it clear that the cost is X and you wand payment by Y, else Z will occur.

Forget about any other damage for your distress, etc. Too bad people don't take care of their dogs much better than their children.

mmmagique

I would also do a search to find out if this sort of thing had happened before with their dog. Some people really don't care.

~Christina

p.s. I'm so sorry about your fuzzy friend. I hope she'll be fine soon. I bet she's a cutie.

rowz

Send the letter to the owner via Certified Mail w/ RRR. THIS IS IMPERATIVE as, when they sign for it the sig. is proof it was received. It will cost a bit more than 5.00

Also, in this letter provide a date by which if they do not reply, you will seek what other remedies that may exist to you.

I would then file a Small Claims Case 2 days after the date for contact has expired.

They either will or will not reply.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">