• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost by default, never paid, guy dies. Do I still owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stevein_NH

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I never showed for hearing so the guy won by default ($7000.00) in a civil case with his own attorney. Claims he was injured in a minor car accident, he also waited the full 3 years after accident to file, hoping for a big payoff.
It's too bad he didn't know I never kept two nickels to rub together. Well, guy dies after 10 years and I called the court to see if I can settle this because my driving priveleges in NH are suspended. Court tells me to call his lawyer, his lawyer says I still owe full amount + interest. Is this right? and if it is whats the lawyer going to do with that money?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Stevein_NH said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I never showed for hearing so the guy won by default ($7000.00) in a civil case with his own attorney. Claims he was injured in a minor car accident, he also waited the full 3 years after accident to file, hoping for a big payoff.
It's too bad he didn't know I never kept two nickels to rub together. Well, guy dies after 10 years and I called the court to see if I can settle this because my driving priveleges in NH are suspended. Court tells me to call his lawyer, his lawyer says I still owe full amount + interest. Is this right? and if it is whats the lawyer going to do with that money?

My response:

It's true. Judgments last for years and years and years. And then, they're renewable for more years and years and years. What's the attorney going to do with that money? First, he'll take his fee and costs. Then, by law, he will pay the rest of the money to the dead guy's Estate; i.e., To his family.

That's what he'll do.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">