• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

qnfay

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was involved with a US Postal employee for over a year. After our break up she was in contact with my ex-wife. In October 2003 I learned that the postal employee was receiving my mail (I put in a change of address at the time of separation) and by her own written admission was destroying some mail and sending the rest to my ex. I filed a complaint with the postal inspector the same month. In Novermber 2003 I received a letter from the inspector stating that no federal crime was committed but I could file a police report. I was reluctant to file the complaint with the Charlotte NC postal inspectors because the employee worked in the same building and had admitted having intimate relations with some of the inspectors. The police took the report but later stated that it was a federal crime. I then contacted the USPSOIG online and stated the same facts. The OIC suggested I contact another division of postal inspectors in Ft. Worth Texas which I did. For seven months I heard nothing from them. I left many messages by phone and sent several letters and got no response. I finally made contact with a human and not an answering machine. I explained the situation and was told that case had been turned over to the inspectors in the Charlotte office again. My question is; can I sue the employee? Where do I file the papers (I live in another county from the theft)? Can I sue the Postal Service? Will my ex be charged with receiving stolen property? What laws were broken by everyone involved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">