• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

malpractice after substitution of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raj3001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi,

Is it possible to file malpractice after substitution of attorney...my attorney pretty much ditched me in the middle of the litigation even though I paid what was agreed. I had to find another attorney to continue and pay more. Once I get a substitution of attorney signed by both, will I be able to file malpractice against the first attorney for backing out in the middle of the case which caused me a lot of stress and more money.

Please let me know

Thank you

quincy

Hi,

Is it possible to file malpractice after substitution of attorney...my attorney pretty much ditched me in the middle of the litigation even though I paid what was agreed. I had to find another attorney to continue and pay more. Once I get a substitution of attorney signed by both, will I be able to file malpractice against the first attorney for backing out in the middle of the case which caused me a lot of stress and more money.

Please let me know

Thank you
Why did your first attorney "ditch" you?

B

Blutodidit

Hi,

Please let me know

Thank you
Sometimes a judge will not allow an Attorney to leave a case. What were your circumstances? Had you paid for the reasonable services up to the time of the Attorney's departure? Please give more information so Quincy can give you an adequate response.

quincy

I am afraid that raj3001 has been rather shy with details in the past. ;)

Two possibly (probably) related threads started by raj3001:

From 10/31/13: https://forum.freeadvice.com/business-contracts-franchises-85/attorney-representation-waiver-601295.html

From 1/28/14: https://forum.freeadvice.com/civil-litigation-46/attorney-asking-more-money-suddenly-603274.html

There are several legitimate reasons why an attorney might withdraw from a case. While attorney malpractice is unlikely, it is not entirely outside the realm of possibilities. Details are certainly necessary, though, if raj3001 wants any of us to provide him with advice and direction.

raj3001

re:

Actually guys I am not shy at all...I would be happy to provide more details

Well my first attorney left and I paid full amount agreed i contract. He said he is busy with other cases and does not have time for this. Also, this case will take longer than he anticipated so he backed out is what he told me

My main question is: Can I go for malpractice after substitution of attorney

ShyCat

He said he is busy with other cases and does not have time for this. Also, this case will take longer than he anticipated so he backed out is what he told me
Doesn't sound like malpractice to me, just ordinary business. He wasn't required to drop his other cases to provide more time for your case. Nor was he required to forego sleep and family life to provide more time for your case.

quincy

Actually guys I am not shy at all...I would be happy to provide more details

Well my first attorney left and I paid full amount agreed i contract. He said he is busy with other cases and does not have time for this. Also, this case will take longer than he anticipated so he backed out is what he told me

My main question is: Can I go for malpractice after substitution of attorney
I agree with ShyCat. There is nothing you have written (yet) that indicates the attorney violated any rules or laws or acted improperly. I do not see malpractice.

An attorney can withdraw from a case for all sorts of reasons, including simply because there is a personality conflict with the client.

That said, your attorney will still need to notify the court and obtain the court's permission to withdraw from your case. Blutodidit touched on the fact that a court can order the attorney to continue with your case if the withdrawal hurts you or other parties to the case but, because you have another attorney lined up already to take over, I do not see this happening.

Your attorney will turn over to your new attorney all of the papers relating to your case (minus work product) and your attorney may need to obtain an extension on any hearing coming up soon. But, other than that and unless your attorney has acted improperly, there has been no malpractice. Your case goes on - but with a different attorney representing your interests.

Based again on what you have disclosed so far, I would put the idea of malpractice out of your head. Good luck with your case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I wouldn't put ethical concerns aside for one very big reason:
This was a flat fee agreement and OP said he paid all the money. Therefore, the attorney has issues for that reason.

If the fee agreement stated it was flat fee to handle the issue, the attorney has not fulfilled the contract. He is in breach. And if he doesn't return the money (or some of it), that is a problem.

This is based on the other threads posted.

raj3001

re:

Thanks for all the responses

So basically this is not malpractice but ethical issue

I have a valid signed contract, paid all the money (flat fee) and then he backed out, and that too at a crucial time. That caused me to run around and spend a lot of time and expenses finding someone else.

I have not got any money back from the first guy and I had to pay my new attorney

So that's an ethics issue...does that come under disciplinary issues with the bar?

Basically I have 2 questions:

1. How can I get my money back?
2. Can I file substitution and I can still pursue the first attorney to get my money back? I think I should be able to do so.

I have a valid signed contract, paid all the money (flat fee) and then he backed out, and that too at a crucial time. That caused me to run around and spend a lot of time and expenses finding someone else.
I don't understand. You haven't said anything that would indicate that the attorney violated the contract or engaged in any unethical behavior. You keep saying that you had a valid signed contract and that you paid a flat fee for services specified in the contract (not a contingent fee based on an outcome of the case). But what did the contract say? Did it say that for $200, plus you pay the filing fee, that he would file your complaint for you? Did it say that for a flat fee of $500 he would do anything and everything regarding your case for as long as it took to bring the case to completion? If the contract said that he would do something that you paid him to do, and he didn't do it, then you can negotiate with him for a return of some or all of the money, or you can sue him for breach of that contract. But be careful. I don't think courts like clients suing their attorney, so you had better be sure that the contract said he would do something that you paid for and he didn't do.

quincy

So basically this is not malpractice but ethical issue

I have not got any money back from the first guy and I had to pay my new attorney

So that's an ethics issue...does that come under disciplinary issues with the bar?

Basically I have 2 questions:

1. How can I get my money back?
2. Can I file substitution and I can still pursue the first attorney to get my money back? I think I should be able to do so.
A lot of what you can do (if anything) depends on the contract you had with the first attorney. A personal review of the contract, and a review of all facts, would be necessary to provide good answers to your questions.

Your flat fee agreement should have spelled out exactly what services the attorney was offering in exchange for the fee. Mark Maroon points out some of the differences you can find in flat fee contracts. If the attorney fulfilled his part of the agreement, you may not be entitled to any money back.

You mentioned in an earlier thread that your agreement did not include filing fees, expert fees or the trial. Often flat-fee agreements will outline what sorts of costs (if any) can be added to the flat rate. Generally, flat fee agreements are offered for legal matters that are considered routine (like the drafting of a will), with a relatively clear beginning and end.

If your attorney realized that you require legal services exceeding those provided under the flat fee, or if continuing with your case would place an unfair financial burden on the attorney, or for many other reasons, the attorney can withdraw from the case (if the court permits the withdrawal), and there is often nothing you can do about it.

Attorney malpractice is not common and I don't see anything that indicates that your first attorney has done anything illegal, unethical or improper. Most attorneys value their professional licenses and their reputations too much to put them at risk.

That said, facts matter. Ohiogal mentioned potential ethical violations, and malpractice (while unlikely) cannot be ruled out entirely. Because we can only base our advice on what is communicated in a few forum posts, and this is rarely enough to allow for definitive answers to questions posed, having a personal review by an attorney in your area is the best way to determine if you can recover any of the money you paid to your first attorney.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">