• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts D.O.R. taking money without reason, giving it to Ex. Can I sue them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melissma22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have been back and forth with the DOR for months about extra money that they are taking from my paycheck.
I am told that I am receiving a refund in the mail, and then called back about a week later to be told that I am not receiving the money and that it is being sent to my ex ( in excess of the court ordered amount that I currently pay her).
To date, she's been paid over $1,200 extra dollars. Each time I call to get the extra funds, I am told that I am "all set" only to be called back AFTER the deadline to be told that I was "too late" and that the money was sent to her.
Each person I speak with has a different story and none of the stories match. The incompetence that is going on at the DOR is mind boggling.
I am in danger of having my car repossessed and I can not afford basic staples like food and shelter. I am stressed all the time and in constant fear that the DOR will take MORE of my money and I will be on the street. As such I am suffering from major depression that is affecting me at home and work.
What can I do? I've written my state senators and the governor. I feel that there is no recourse and that the DOR can just take whatever funds they want on a whim.
-Paul

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have been back and forth with the DOR for months about extra money that they are taking from my paycheck.
I am told that I am receiving a refund in the mail, and then called back about a week later to be told that I am not receiving the money and that it is being sent to my ex ( in excess of the court ordered amount that I currently pay her).
To date, she's been paid over $1,200 extra dollars. Each time I call to get the extra funds, I am told that I am "all set" only to be called back AFTER the deadline to be told that I was "too late" and that the money was sent to her.
Each person I speak with has a different story and none of the stories match. The incompetence that is going on at the DOR is mind boggling.
I am in danger of having my car repossessed and I can not afford basic staples like food and shelter. I am stressed all the time and in constant fear that the DOR will take MORE of my money and I will be on the street. As such I am suffering from major depression that is affecting me at home and work.
What can I do? I've written my state senators and the governor. I feel that there is no recourse and that the DOR can just take whatever funds they want on a whim.
-Paul
Do you owe arrears? Have you approached DOR about adjusting your CS?
http://www.mass.gov/dor/child-support/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">