• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This may be a complicated one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoherms

It involves Mental health, Social Security Disability, Domestic Abuse, Civil Law and Common Law Marriage law.

I have been a voluntary representative payee to a man with mental health and substance abuse issues for that last 2 years, and it has been hell this person refuses to take his medications or go to counciling as a result his mental health has deteriorated and his alcohol abuse has increased.

He has abused me on all levels, caused me lose my car and then my job making me financially dependent on him. Today he took the direct express card withdrew $500 cash and he took another $500 cash with him so it looks like I am going to lose my home my dogs and everything, I called Direct Express Stopped the card I will get a new one, filed a police report but the prosecutor will not touch it, Social Security office and they were no help. Apparently as VRP I have responsibilities but no rights.

All I ever tried to was do right by this man, take care of and protect himself from himself and he repays it by abandoning me and apparently he can do this and I can't touch him.

And oh yes we are common law husband and wife.

I feel as though I should sue Social security for like of a support system and protections for VRP’s failure to provide adequate treatment to the man. Mental, Emotional and Physical Stress.

Grand Prairie TX

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It involves Mental health, Social Security Disability, Domestic Abuse, Civil Law and Common Law Marriage law.

I have been a voluntary representative payee to a man with mental health and substance abuse issues for that last 2 years, and it has been hell this person refuses to take his medications or go to counciling as a result his mental health has deteriorated and his alcohol abuse has increased.

He has abused me on all levels, caused me lose my car and then my job making me financially dependent on him. Today he took the direct express card withdrew $500 cash and he took another $500 cash with him so it looks like I am going to lose my home my dogs and everything, I called Direct Express Stopped the card I will get a new one, filed a police report but the prosecutor will not touch it, Social Security office and they were no help. Apparently as VRP I have responsibilities but no rights.

All I ever tried to was do right by this man, take care of and protect himself from himself and he repays it by abandoning me and apparently he can do this and I can't touch him.

I feel as though I should sue Social security for like of a support system and protections for VRP’s failure to provide adequate treatment to the man. Mental, Emotional and Physical Stress.

Grand Prairie TX
wow .... just .... wow

Proserpina

Grand Prairie TX

Divorce is your option.

Social Security isn't going to pay for your choice to stay with him.

quincy

Grand Prairie TX
Unvolunteer. Here is a link with numbers to call: http://www.ssa.gov/payee/NewGuide/toc.htm

Just Blue

Grand Prairie TX
I really think you need to look up some words.

"Voluntary"

And ...nah..Just that one word.

www.websters.com

Eekamouse

You've been with him for two years and you think you're common law married? How do you figure that?

Proserpina

You've been with him for two years and you think you're common law married? How do you figure that?

It's badly worded, but I do believe the original post is trying to say that it's a common law marriage, but she has been a rep. payee for only 2 years.

Eekamouse

I vote that I'm right. Maybe the OP will come back and let us know just how long she was with her "husband." and what proof does she have of their common law marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">