• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[[This may not be the right forum]] I was scammed/conned by my ex-girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r2d21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm not sure if the situation I have should be pursued criminally or civilly, or family court.

Moderator, if this is not the correct subforum, please move for visibilty, I apologize and thank you.

My ex-girlfriend claimed she got pregnant last year and claimed to have an abortion right after. She made a whole day-to-day story about her body changing, how it will affect her, her hormones, eating, sleep etc, and finally the procedure. She did all of this to create drama and tension, cause disruptions, gain sympathy and receive money. At times I was suspicious and politely asked for receipts and she shut me down saying she'd never talk to me again if I didn't believe her, so I let it go. Now I have it on good authority that she had lied about the whole thing, and I was extremely depressed during and after the entire incident, even so far as to start seeing a therapist on a weekly basis for months.

Later I also found out that she had done a similar thing to her ex (before me). She had told him she had miscarried and he only found out about the baby almost a year after birth.

Is there a criminal or civil, any sort of legal recourse or punishment for these actions? I can't seem to find much information on cons and scams of this type and I've spoken with civil laywers who've referred me to criminal laywers, who have then referred me back to civil lawyers. What can I do? I'm in Texas.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

I'm not sure if the situation I have should be pursued criminally or civilly, or family court.

Moderator, if this is not the correct subforum, please move for visibilty, I apologize and thank you.

My ex-girlfriend claimed she got pregnant last year and claimed to have an abortion right after. She made a whole day-to-day story about her body changing, how it will affect her, her hormones, eating, sleep etc, and finally the procedure. She did all of this to create drama and tension, cause disruptions, gain sympathy and receive money. At times I was suspicious and politely asked for receipts and she shut me down saying she'd never talk to me again if I didn't believe her, so I let it go. Now I have it on good authority that she had lied about the whole thing, and I was extremely depressed during and after the entire incident, even so far as to start seeing a therapist on a weekly basis for months.

Later I also found out that she had done a similar thing to her ex (before me). She had told him she had miscarried and he only found out about the baby almost a year after birth.

Is there a criminal or civil, any sort of legal recourse or punishment for these actions? I can't seem to find much information on cons and scams of this type and I've spoken with civil laywers who've referred me to criminal laywers, who have then referred me back to civil lawyers. What can I do? I'm in Texas.
What proof (actual proof, not hearsay) that she isn't/wasn't pregnant?

What damages did you sustain as a result of her actions?

Proserpina

She is not responsible for your depression and it's not illegal to be an untrustworthy harlot.

r2d21

What proof (actual proof, not hearsay) that she isn't/wasn't pregnant?

What damages did you sustain as a result of her actions?
i did the research on the clinic so I picked one out for her. She verified that was the one she had gone to. All I have right now is hearsay and her own fervent denial as well as her inability to provide me with receipts that makes me want to get a lawyer who may be able to suggest a course of action; like contact the clinic and provide proof (receipts) or if there's any way to ask the courts to order the clinic for that information. I really don't know, I'm not in the least bit knowledgeable about these and its showing.

I paid her over $1000 in fees as well as compensated her for her "downtime" after, so approximately 3000 is a roughly accurate estimate. Not counting the depression, therapy, overall mental stress I suffered over the whole thing, though according to Proserpina it seems that part of it may not be prosecutable?

Proserpina

i did the research on the clinic so I picked one out for her. She verified that was the one she had gone to. All I have right now is hearsay and her own fervent denial as well as her inability to provide me with receipts that makes me want to get a lawyer who may be able to suggest a course of action; like contact the clinic and provide proof (receipts) or if there's any way to ask the courts to order the clinic for that information. I really don't know, I'm not in the least bit knowledgeable about these and its showing.

I paid her over $1000 in fees as well as compensated her for her "downtime" after, so approximately 3000 is a roughly accurate estimate. Not counting the depression, therapy, overall mental stress I suffered over the whole thing, though according to Proserpina it seems that part of it may not be prosecutable?
You can't prove she was pregnant to begin with, and you can't prove that she did or didn't receive treatment from any given facility.

You won't be able to get her medical records, either. But even if you could, what are you going to say when she tells the hypothetical judge that you simply gifted her the money to cheer her up having suffered a dreadful loss? Or for a completely different reason?

You don't need this woman to occupy your mind any further. She's not worth it; don't give her the satisfaction of thinking she's still getting under your fingernails.

Just Blue

You can't prove she was pregnant to begin with, and you can't prove that she did or didn't receive treatment from any given facility.

You won't be able to get her medical records, either. But even if you could, what are you going to say when she tells the hypothetical judge that you simply gifted her the money to cheer her up having suffered a dreadful loss? Or for a completely different reason?

You don't need this woman to occupy your mind any further. She's not worth it; don't give her the satisfaction of thinking she's still getting under your fingernails.
Pro...Fix your incoming. :p

r2d21

I can prove she was pregnant. I have texts/voicemails proving she claimed she was pregnant.

I can prove she asked for money for this fictitious procedure. The extra money for not being able to work after the procedure may be considered a gift, but a check made out to her with the memo "abortion fees" would at least prove the exact reason why $1100 was given.

Do I really not have a case with all this?

I get it, I should move on. But I suffered severe mental stress because of all of this and I wish to pursue this in a manner I prefer if there is a way.

At least some advice on whether I should be contacting a decent criminal lawyer or a civil lawyer or a family lawyer?

OHRoadwarrior

You had no legal obligation to give her the money. It will likely be considered a gift. Once you gifted it to her, she is free to lie and do what she wishes with it. Next time, don't be so gullible and wait for a paternity test.

Proserpina

I can prove she was pregnant. I have texts/voicemails proving she claimed she was pregnant.
No ... that proves she told you she was pregnant. She'd likely say, "He knew fine well I wasn't pregnant after I took a second test and it was negative! He's just mad I broke up with him!"

Or something similar.

I can prove she asked for money for this fictitious procedure. The extra money for not being able to work after the procedure may be considered a gift, but a check made out to her with the memo "abortion fees" would at least prove the exact reason why $1100 was given.
No ... it proves that you can write :)

I'm truly not being snarky, 'k? I'm trying to get you to see how this might play out in court. She could also say, "I had an abortion. I just didn't choose to tell him exactly where, as is my right to do so". She can print off messages from her Facebook inbox and claim you sent them to her - see where I'm going with this?

Do I really not have a case with all this?
Alas, no. But think about it for a sec - if it were that easy to sue and be successful, she could just as easily claim that you agreed - in writing - to pay back the $500 cash she loaned you. Even if no money ever changed hands. That's why the court wants to see actual proof and actual damages.

I get it, I should move on. But I suffered severe mental stress because of all of this and I wish to pursue this in a manner I prefer if there is a way.

At least some advice on whether I should be contacting a decent criminal lawyer or a civil lawyer or a family lawyer?
You don't have anything, hon. Family law doesn't come into it (because there's nothing here which would involve any sort of family law matter), there's nothing civil because you essentially gave her a gift, and you would never be able to prove that she actually committed any crime. It's all he said-she said, and the onus is on you to prove your case. I understand that you feel duped, but if we boil this down to brass tacks and exclude every single bit of emotion, this is what we're left with:

You slept with a lying harlot. Choose more wisely next time.

I agree with OHW's post (and that's extremely rare, believe me. So we must be onto something, y'know?). You were gullible and she saw you coming.

Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">