• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Mechanic liable for engine damage after his repair work failed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Montero

I'm not sure where this topic best fits, so I'm putting it in "general".
I recently had the timing belt replaced in my vehicle as a part of routine maintainance. I allowed the mechanic to perform the duty with the optional items he suggested (tensioners, pulleys) and, as he also suggested, used manufactorer original equipment. He warned that this was a serious job, wanted to replace everything, and use the higher quality original equipment, because if anything failed, the engine would be damaged (the pistons will hit the valves if the timing belt is lost). The repair was done 2 months and 4K miles ago, with a 6mo/6K warranty in California.

The vehicle broke down on the freeway, I had it towed to the repair shop to discover that the timing belt had litterally come through the front cover on the engine. The mechanic is now trying to blame it on other things (he noticed a dent in my bumper that has been there over a year - implying an accident), and says at worst they are only liable for the work they did. The engine is severly damamged and is a direct result of the failure of their workmanship.

Where do I start and what should I do?

Do I get the vehicle out of their possession? Threaten to sue?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Click on this link:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp

It's for the California Bureau of Automotive Repair. These people are excellent, and when you file a complaint, it spells "death" to a California mechanic. Watch how you get your entire engine repaired !

IAAL

P.S. It's the one, good, thing that Ronald Reagan gave California when he was Governor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">