• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic will not return car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kp2013

Oklahoma.
I realize some of this is my own stupidity. I had a mobile mechanic perform some work for me on my car. He did a great job, was very friendly, and even answered a couple of related questions for me later on. Well, my car broke down a few months later (unrelated issue), so I called him.

He met me and picked up my car, and said he'd call me in a couple of days with a price. He informed me that it would cost $700 to fix the issue. I met him in person with the payment, and he provided me with a receipt.

This happened on November 11. I have heard for two months now that it is almost done, numerous times. It can go a week or so before I hear anything back from him. He called me a week ago yesterday and told me "it will be done tomorrow by 3:00 at the latest". That was a week ago today. I have texted, called and left messages, to no avail.

Regardless of the fact that it is probably not fixed, I am beyond desperate to get my car returned so I can get it fixed and running.

Please advise on how I should proceed.

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

OHRoadwarrior

Look him up online. He should have a physical address listed somewhere. That is a good point to start. Failing that, cruise around a few repair shops in the area of that address, looking for your car. Google reveals a few around OKC and Tulsa by "mobile car mechanic oklahoma".

Well, that is the problem, and where my stupidness plays in. He is a mobile mechanic, so I don't know where his shop is.

Last edited:

kp2013

Look him up online. He should have a physical address listed somewhere. That is a good point to start. Failing that, cruise around a few repair shops in the area of that address, looking for your car. Google reveals a few around OKC and Tulsa by "mobile car mechanic oklahoma".
OK, I will try. But even if I find his location, there is no guarantee I will get my car. What can I do legally to get it, as well as my money back

OHRoadwarrior

When you find it, come back. You can always go straight to suing him for the value of the car in court. If you actually want the car back, lets try to see if he has stripped it or not, once you find it.

OK, I will try. But even if I find his location, there is no guarantee I will get my car. What can I do legally to get it, as well as my money back

kp2013

When you find it, come back. You can always go straight to suing him for the value of the car in court. If you actually want the car back, lets try to see if he has stripped it or not, once you find it.
Drove around looking today, even had the police try to look him up, nothing.
I am at my wits end on this. What should I do now?

quincy

Police said I can't, because I willingly gave him the car to fix.
That seems weird. Yes, you gave your car to the guy to fix ... but you didn't give your car to the guy so he could keep it forever.

You cannot locate for him a home address? He must live somewhere (I assume).

kp2013

That seems weird. Yes, you gave your car to the guy to fix ... but you didn't give your car to the guy so he could keep it forever.

You cannot locate for him a home address? He must live somewhere (I assume).
Good news: Just heard from the police, and they found my car. The "homeowner" would like it removed from their property.
Bad news: There is no telling what kind of shape it is in, or what happened to my $700

Once I get the car back, what can I do about the money I paid him?

Last edited:

quincy

Good news: Just heard from the police, and they found my car. The "homeowner" would like it removed from their property.
Bad news: There is no telling what kind of shape it is in, or what happened to my $700

Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and your car will be fixed as it was supposed to be, in which case your $700 will have been well spent.

I am glad to hear your car was located.

Last edited:

First off, you want to find out exactly where your car was when the police found it (you'll want this information later if you sue the guy for taking your car and not fixing it and leaving it where the police found it), and you also want to find out who the "homeowner" is/was and how to contact them (you'll want to contact them to see if they know how your car got to where the police found it, and if they know the person who left it there and how to find them).

Once you get the car back, document any damage that was done to it while he had it. Then you should force the police to take your statement that your car was stolen. If you give your car to someone to fix it, and instead of fixing it they damage it and leave it abandoned, then it was stolen (and recovered). Then take that report to your insurance company to recover for the damages to your stolen (and recovered) car.

Finally, if you have the guys cell phone number and you paid him the first time by check, then you may be able to find out more about him by subpoena to his telephone service provider and your bank and his bank. But first you would have to file a civil complaint against him for the damages done (that would include any damage to your car, any loss of $ that you gave him, any lost work because you didn't have a car, any extra expenses you incurred because you didn't have a car (like a rental car).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">