• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed Court Date! Warrent for arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiggles333

What is the name of your state? MA

My boyfriend's brother was pulled over driving under a Guatemalen license. He does not have a U.S. license. He is going back home in a matter of weeks. They took his Guatemalen license at the scene, and gave him a court date.

He accidentally lost the paperwork that had the court date on it. Today he found the paper, and turns out he was supposed to go yesterday. My boyfriend is friends with a police from the department, and supposedly, they already have a warrent for his arrest.

My question is, what will happen if he goes to the courthouse and explains that he lost his paper with the court date on it? Will they still arrest him? THEN, somebody will have to make his bail... and that's just money that we don't have to spend right now. Around how much would the bail cost anyways?

Or is he better off just hoping he doesn't get arrested for the next 3 weeks? He's going back to his home country and doesn't plan on returning here ever. As legal citizens, we are tired of dealing with his illegal status.

Anything that will save us money is what we are willing to do right now.

Lastly, if he choses not to go to court AND they do find him... will they just arrest him, or will they deport him? That involves staying here even longer than he already plans to. They make him work off the cost of his ticket home.

Any advice is appreciated.

seniorjudge

Q: My question is, what will happen if he goes to the courthouse and explains that he lost his paper with the court date on it?

A: Everyone will laugh because of that tired excuse.

Q: Will they still arrest him?

A: Probably.

Q: THEN, somebody will have to make his bail... and that's just money that we don't have to spend right now. Around how much would the bail cost anyways?

A: He may be let out on his own recognizance (meaning he promises to come back without having to put up any dough...but don't expect that since he's already proven he won't show up for court).

Q: Or is he better off just hoping he doesn't get arrested for the next 3 weeks?

A: No.

Q: Lastly, if he choses not to go to court AND they do find him... will they just arrest him, or will they deport him?

A: Both, probably.

wiggles333

unfortunately, no. it's 2 different issues.

although, this one is no longer an issue.

I called the court and explained the situation... he truly had lost the papers. They said as long as he came in today (the day after) they take away the warrant and everything is okay.

Turns out however, that he had read the paperwork incorrectly anyways. In truth, his court date is FEBRUARY. He was a month off. So he had no problems. It was just an embarassing situation when everybody laughed at him at the courthouse. He wasn't late afterall.

Thanks for your help though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">