• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistreated by the law, do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babidimplez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

State: Pennsylvania

I was followed home by a woman that claims I passed her on the high way. The woman came to my home banged on my door and verbally attacked me. I told her numerous times to get away from my house, she threatened me saying her boyfriend worked for the police and that she had a gun. She threatened to call the cops about me going past her saying that I was speeding and I told her I was going to do the same thing regarding her threats but she called before I did.

She talked to the police and they police came to my house accusing me of speeding and refused to take a statement from me, and said I would be cited for harassment. How am I cited when she followed me and threatened me? I told them I wanted to file a complaint against her and they told me I could not because she was the one that called. So I said I would call the police station and file one on my own, the officer told me that no one would come out to my house. And they didn't.

I went down to the police station to try and file a report and was dealt with in an unprofessional manner. I was dismissed when I told them I wanted to file a complaint the officer told me he wasn't going to file two different complaints about the same case even though no one ever got my side of what happened. No one cared. When I informed him that the officer that came to my house never took my statement or asked ME personally what happened, he said I needed to talk to that officer.

So in a nutshell, I was followed, verbally attacked and threatened, was refused the right to give my account of the events that took place and defend myself against this woman's allegations, dismissed on several different occasions by officers and treated like a criminal. The case was closed only because the woman knew that if I was arrested for the so called threats that she said I said to her, that they would have to arrest her for threatening me with a gun, which she admitted to. Again I felt like they were looking out for her best interest because of her boyfriend and because she is a Caucasian woman and I'm a single black woman living in a predominantly Caucasian neighborhood.

I just cannot believe the way everything about this situation was handled. I know this can't be legal and my rights were denied in so many different instances and this is the condensed version of what took place. I live in a small town and now I feel like I can't rely on the cops that are supposed to protect this town. I was denied the right to file a report against this woman who followed me and threatened my life at my home.

I want to sue this police officer and possibly the police station, but I want to know first before I start this ball rolling do I have a case? Any input is greatly appreciated.

ecmst12

You haven't been harmed in any way and you haven't been charged with anything or arrested....I would say forget about it. If anything like this ever happens again, call the police if someone refuses to leave your property and don't engage with the person.

justalayman

I want to sue this police officer and possibly the police station, but I want to know first before I start this ball rolling do I have a case?
no, you don't, unless you can prove it was based on the race issue. Other than that, you have no case.

pleasantsuprise

Call that precinct and explain to INTERNAL AFFAIRS your interest.
They are friendly,dont be afraid. They live to prosecute wrongdoings of the officers.They will let you know if you
have a legitimate complaint.

Always report ofiicial misconduct to IAffairs,the officers that keep doing dirt...it stays in their file and if a trail of them doing dirt shows.then they will be removed or dealt with.

You have rights to be treated like a person and the officer that didnt take your complaint was NOT IN COMPLIANCE with his job description.
You had a COMPLAINT,HE HAD TO TAKE IT. Even if its a neibhor stealing dandelions off your grass.an irrational driver who could have came back at night and bashed your car aprt.etc

justalayman

And I do doubt the claim the police are required to take a complaint and that it was "NOT IN COMPLIANCE" with his job description.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">