What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I filed a small claim against a person and intended to represent myself in court. This person has now countersued me in civil court and is seeking damages including legal fees. May I obtain council and modify my claim to include legal fees?

Are legal fees generally included in damage remedies?