• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Forfeiture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bnages

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I recently sent one of my long time friends a loan. I knew my wife wouldn't approve so in order to keep it from her I decided to send it in cash using USPS. I researched whether this was legal or not and all I found suggested that it was legal. I packaged it up (discretely) and overnighted it. Only to find out that my friend never received the money and the tracking information states it never left the state. Im assuming that the money was forfeited (although I haven't been contacted). What steps can I take to get the money back?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I recently sent one of my long time friends a loan. I knew my wife wouldn't approve so in order to keep it from her I decided to send it in cash using USPS. I researched whether this was legal or not and all I found suggested that it was legal. I packaged it up (discretely) and overnighted it. Only to find out that my friend never received the money and the tracking information states it never left the state. Im assuming that the money was forfeited (although I haven't been contacted). What steps can I take to get the money back?
Call the USPS and see if they've misplaced it behind a sorting machine. My father sent his sister a package Priority Mail once. Took two years for her to receive it. :cool:

mmmagique

100 to one his friend is a female "friend" and that's why wifey wouldn't like the money being sent that way.

Why not use paypal or some of the many other money transferring options available at this time?

justalayman

first, your reason for sending cash is stupid. There are many other ways to send money, secure methods, that would be as anonymous as sending cash.

so, did you insure the package? If so, you file a claim. If not, oh well, to bad. It's money lost now.

latigo

Call the USPS and see if they've misplaced it behind a sorting machine. My father sent his sister a package Priority Mail once. Took two years for her to receive it. :cool:
I'll venture that if the misplaced package harbored a fresh frozen Alaskan salmon, it wouldn't have taken two years! :)

[SUP]Trivia: (True)

Did you happen to hear about the outfit that was canning "white meat salmon"?

The label "innocently" advised:

“Guaranteed not to turn pink in the can”

I read that they were doing a land-office business until the FDA stepped in.[/SUP]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">