• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money owed and vehicle title issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgagen

I have 2 issues.

The scooter: I live Texas. I bought a scooter for my ex girlfriend in Oklahoma. I have the OK title and the scooter in my possession. The OK title has both our names on it so both of us must be present at the TX tax office to pay the taxes and get the TX title. I have been trying to get her to go to the tax office for 2 years and I’m possibly facing penalties for waiting so long to register it. She doesn’t want the scooter, but she won’t go to the tax office. I am done waiting. What do I need to do get the title in my name and be done with this?

Money owed: She also owes about $3000 which includes the cost of the scooter. I think I can get her to sign a contract to repay. I have no idea how to make it legally binding. You can buy these contracts online, but I want to make sure it’s legal. What is the best course of action?

Getting her to pay will be another issue, but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction you can provide.

Rexlan

Does not sound correct. Why does she have to be physically present. All she should need to do is sign the title and then you can take it and sign and pay.

If I sold you my car then I would have to go to Texas so you could register it .... don't think so. That is what you are saying. Sounds more like she won't sign the title.

dgagen

The title has both our names on it.

It is an Oklahoma title and I live in Texas.

I have never been an Oklahoma resident, but I bought the scooter there.

I might be able to have her sign the title over to me if I lived in Oklahoma, but since I live in Texas she apparently has to be present at the TX tax office to even if I just wanted a TX title with both our names on it. At least was what I was told by TX tax office employee. Maybe they were wrong. That's why I'm asking.

dgagen

Title solved, now onto repayment of debts.

Problem solved. I went back to the title office and the person I talked to this time had a different opinion of the Oklahoma title. Since the owner portion was worded "John Smith or Jane Smith" the word "or" instead of "and"made all the difference. They simply didn't include her name on the Texas title.

Now that I have sorted out.... Assuming I can get her to sign a legal document, where can I get a legal contract of repayment that would hold up in court? Do I need a third party witness to sign as well?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Last edited:

Rexlan

Even if it said "and" all she had to do was sign it ... not appear in person.

You can get a simple contract from any local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">