• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to dismiss/withdraw name change petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marcblock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I filed a petition with the court to change my name, only to find out a week later that I have a new job in another state. There's no way I'll be able to make the court date for the name change (which is over a month away), and I'd rather just file a new petition in my new state anyway.

How do I proceed? Do I have to file a motion to dismiss? Do I just not show up for the court date? That doesn't seem right.

You would file a motion to withdraw .. most clerks have such a form to complete ... call or visit the court clerk's office

Marcblock

Thanks for the reply. I believe I've found the correct form on the Kansas Judicial Website - A "motion to dismiss".

Does anyone know if there is normally a filing fee for this? It's not mentioned on the court's docket fees website.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">