• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving upcoming court case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tenaciousg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama moving to Texas

I am moving to Texas tomorrow for an employment opportunity. I was called by the "friend" who is having the court case coming up in January stating that she will be getting me subpoenaed for 2 separate cases. The case is in Alabama but I am moving to Texas tomorrow. She is trying to force the subpoena due to me moving out of state. I know one case is custody and the other is for spousal abuse. Am I required to show when I haven't been served before I moved? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ronin

If you have not been served before you leave the state I would not worry too much about it. If it is an attorney issued subpoena rather than court issued, I would worry even less.

A state court will seldom issue a subpoena without good cause for a non-party who lives beyond a specified distance from the court within the same state.

If the person lives outside the state it becomes more complicated as state courts generally lack jurisdiction to order out of state persons who are not a party to the suit to appear in court as a witness.

However, if they are willing to pay your travel back and forth from TX to AL, you should consider going out of your way a bit to accomodate a subpoena, especially if it means doing the right thing in an abuse case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">