• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

multiple bad checks from employer-refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wern

Hello everyone,

One of my relatives was working as a salesman. As far as I know, some kind of verbal agreement was reached regarding the commission. However, when the employer paid the dues through a check, it bounced...three of the checks had bounced. It was probably a late payment, hence the three checks. The employer is refusing the pay. What legal actions can this relative of mine take in order to recoop the lost wages? Will he need a lawyer? I believe the amount was like in the 3000s. He showed me a document that's entitled "procedures for criminal&civil prosecutions of deposit account fraud, "bad checks"", but is this the best option especially since he had no formal written contract of employment with this person?

Would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello everyone,

One of my relatives was working as a salesman. As far as I know, some kind of verbal agreement was reached regarding the commission. However, when the employer paid the dues through a check, it bounced...three of the checks had bounced. It was probably a late payment, hence the three checks. The employer is refusing the pay. What legal actions can this relative of mine take in order to recoop the lost wages? Will he need a lawyer? I believe the amount was like in the 3000s. He showed me a document that's entitled "procedures for criminal&civil prosecutions of deposit account fraud, "bad checks"", but is this the best option especially since he had no formal written contract of employment with this person?

Would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.
Please direct your relative to this web site to ask his own questions - he will have information that you do not. Thank you for understanding.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Georgia does not have a state DOL, or at least not one that is worth the paper it's printed on. My go-to person for wage and hour issues since Patty's death compares the GA DOL to a PO Box where no one ever picks up the mail. The US DOL, or possibly small claims, would be a more effective option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">