• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple defendants - one didn't answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mizlyn

What is the name of your state? Washington

In a multiple defendant civil lawsuit, if one of the defendants does not answer the complaint can the plaintiff seek a default judgement against that defendant and continue to trial against the other?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mizlyn said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

In a multiple defendant civil lawsuit, if one of the defendants does not answer the complaint can the plaintiff seek a default judgement against that defendant and continue to trial against the other?

My response:

Yes.

IAAL

JETX

"Can you be a little more specific?"
*** Really pretty simple....
If a plaintiff names multiple defendants and one (or more) of those defendants do not respond to the lawsuit, the plaintiff can request a default judgment be rendered against the non-answering defendant(s). The plaintiff(s) can then proceed with their claims against the remaining (answering) defendants.

AmosMoses

JETX,

I apologize. I was just joking with IAAL due to his VERY specific, and proper answer of "Yes". Sorry about that! It was my moronic attempt at a little humor.

JETX

I do have to admit, I was beginning to wonder about why you asked what appeared to be an obvious question.
:)

But, heck, we are here to serve the multitude of 'wondering' folks out there!!

AmosMoses

It loses some of his value as humor with me asking it, because I am guilty of really asking some very stupid questions! Especially when it wasn't that funny, anyway!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">