• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Municipal Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

exemployee1001

Im in the state of mississippi. Okay, me and a woman had a misunderstanding, she claimed I stole her phone, however I took it (i was on camera taking it) and turned it in. I thought it was over with and today I got a letter from the municipal court to call them. I spoke to the lady again who said she signed the affadavit and that if I met her at the court and had the drop few of $50, she would sign the papers. She said she choose to press charges and she would drop them happily. I talked to the police department and they agreed that if she signed the affadavit then she could drop the charges. Here are my concerns: is it really true she can drop the charges? Is there really a fine to drop them? The letter doesnt say a court date is it legitimate? What will they say when I call?

quincy

Im in the state of mississippi. Okay, me and a woman had a misunderstanding, she claimed I stole her phone, however I took it (i was on camera taking it) and turned it in. I thought it was over with and today I got a letter from the municipal court to call them. I spoke to the lady again who said she signed the affadavit and that if I met her at the court and had the drop few of $50, she would sign the papers. She said she choose to press charges and she would drop them happily. I talked to the police department and they agreed that if she signed the affadavit then she could drop the charges. Here are my concerns: is it really true she can drop the charges? Is there really a fine to drop them? The letter doesnt say a court date is it legitimate? What will they say when I call?
No. It is not true that the woman can "drop charges."

The woman can withdraw a complaint to the police saying the matter was resolved but, if the police have already handed the matter over to the prosecutor and you have been charged with theft, it will be the prosecutor who decides whether to pursue or dismiss a criminal charge.

These questions, by the way, are best added to your other recent thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/what-will-happen-626698.html

exemployee1001

How likely is it that its already handed over? The detectives said that only she can drop the charges. I didnt get a court date

quincy

How likely is it that its already handed over? The detectives said that only she can drop the charges. I didnt get a court date
I don't know how likely it is that the police investigated the woman's complaint and sent their report to the prosecutor.

I also have no clue why the detective said what he did or why the Municipal Court sent a letter telling you to call or why the woman wants to meet you in court.

I don't know what the affidavit or the $50 is all about.

It might be smart for you to contact an attorney in your area, for a personal review of your story of the missing phone and the woman who claims you stole it.

Good luck.

exemployee1001

It's so confusing. I thought if municipal court sends a letter its to give you a court date. But all it is saying is to call them and what the charge that was pressed was. The detective said he thought it was a joke. The woman said it costs money to drop charges. What do you think an attorney would cost on this??

quincy

It's so confusing. I thought if municipal court sends a letter its to give you a court date. But all it is saying is to call them and what the charge that was pressed was. The detective said he thought it was a joke. The woman said it costs money to drop charges. What do you think an attorney would cost on this??
Why haven't you called the Municipal Court to ask if they actually wrote the letter and, if they did, what it all means?

What detective have you been speaking to?

I don't know how much an attorney in your area will cost. You can call a few and find out what the typical fee is for handling whatever it is that you are handling.

exemployee1001

I got the letter tonight. Im an employee of the state, I can loose everything if this goes badly. Im terrified that it will because I pay everything with no help and I have a child.

When I called the police department about the letter, they transferred me to a detective who said he did some research and kind of laughed it off.

exemployee1001

The state law says petit larceny under $1000 (which is what the letter said) does not exsist. Its only under 500. Then grand larceny is over 500. But the letter says "charged with petit larceny of $1000 or less"

quincy

The state law says petit larceny under $1000 (which is what the letter said) does not exsist. Its only under 500. Then grand larceny is over 500. But the letter says "charged with petit larceny of $1000 or less"
You should first call the Municipal Court to find out what the letter is all about.

Then you can see an attorney in your area for a review of the letter you received and all that has been going on since you first pocketed the phone that you found.

If you have been charged with a crime, you will want the attorney anyway.

Good luck.

Last edited:

exemployee1001

I went to the police department this morning

My letter was instructing me to call the court and get my court date.

The woman signed an affidavit. He said if she comes and signs the papers and pays $50. The charges will be dropped.

I just am scared she wont show up.

exemployee1001

Conclusion

We went to the municipal court, she signed the withdrawal of affadavit. Paid the $50 and it was over with. They told me not to come to court and to not worry about the papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">