• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My attorney quit and didn't "withdraw" from case.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marie1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
My attorney sold her practice and moved out of state, all without notifying me. She gave my file to her neighbor and asked him to contact me and return it. I want to hire another attorney, hopefully a more ethical one!- but the court clerk said my old attorney hasn't withdrawn. So, can I not get an attorney until she withdraws? She has burned me on this entire case and I have spent lots of money on nothing. :( What if there's a court date and I don't know about it and I lose??? I'm so stressed out!

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
My attorney sold her practice and moved out of state, all without notifying me. She gave my file to her neighbor and asked him to contact me and return it. I want to hire another attorney, hopefully a more ethical one!- but the court clerk said my old attorney hasn't withdrawn. So, can I not get an attorney until she withdraws? She has burned me on this entire case and I have spent lots of money on nothing. :( What if there's a court date and I don't know about it and I lose??? I'm so stressed out!
Who do you mean by "her neighbor"?

You go to the "neighbor" (I am assuming he/she/it is a lawyer) and request YOUR file and tell the neighbor that you are getting a new lawyer and you expect him/her/it to withdraw immediately.

Also, file a complaint with the state bar on your old lawyer.

marie1

I did file a bar complaint last week, but it was before I knew she didn't withdraw. I guess I'll have to file a second complaint. Her neighbor at the rear of her home is an attorney, but he didn't take the files to actually represent the people, he just got them dropped on him and was trying to return the files to their owners. I did get my file back, but I don't think I can hire another attorney until she withdraws herself, but I'm not sure...Ugh....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">