• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Brother has one felony....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristi29

What is the name of your state? PA.

My question is my brother has one felony but he wants to become a laywer.
Is there any state that he can become one with is felony? I'm thinking there has to be at least one out there that won't hold a small crime against you for the rest of your life. His charge was aggravated asault...I think i spelled that right sorry if I didn't. Can someone please tell me if he can do this, and if so what does he have to do to be able to. THANKS. :rolleyes:

autodale

Most lawyers are felons, prior and after becoming.

The answer to your question is yes, many states.

In most states you can have your records expunged and still be a laywer. I know many wil probably disagree with this advice and I will respond and prove it can be done.

I can provide case law showing Calif Superior Court judges convicted of felony drug charges that only had their license suspended for 1 year for such conviction and still loved by all DAS.

Just ask and you shall receive.

autodale

Sorry, I forgot to mention that most people that use this site are lawyers and law students, plus some others and they mostly only answer stupid questions that make them feel superior.

I wish one would respond with a real answer?

autodale said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that most people that use this site are lawyers and law students, plus some others and they mostly only answer stupid questions that make them feel superior.

I wish one would respond with a real answer?
It totally depends on the bar in that particular state.

I think in most states, including Indiana, the answer is yes. But the felony has to be disclosed and it could affect whether they pass the "character and fitness" interview.

Law schools will take anyone and hand out a law degree to anyone. They just want $$$$. That doesn't mean that you will ultimately be allowed to be an attorney though.

badapple40

Only because I am a member of the local bar associations admissions committee...

In Ohio, and most other states, the facts surrounding the offense, his acceptance of responsibility, and conduct subsequent to an offense, along with the time that has passed since the offense, is taken into account.

A felony agg. assault five years ago for beating someone's grandma with a baseball bat with a string of petty theft since won't result in a positive recomendation for admission.

On the other hand, a college bar fight ten years ago where someone got hit with a beer bottle, followed by full service of the sentence and probation, coupled with regular acts of community service, full acceptance of responsibility, and leading a productive life since then, with not so much as a traffic ticket, no bad credit issues, and the like, would get a positive recomendation.

At least in Ohio, and in many other states, there are separate procedures for persons with felony convictions. In fact, in Ohio, you bypass the local bar admissions committee, and go straight to a full hearing before the board of examiners on character and fitness if you have a felony. Don't even get to collect $200.

Kristi29

The charge was from 1999... I want to thank everyone who answered me first of all. Now next question....He does need help knowing when he goes to finsh his first 4 yrs of school should he go in ohio or should he wait and go to law school in ohio. This is something I know he has wanted to be for a long time. And the fact he has been in trouble in the past he wants to help people that can't afford a lawyer. What is the next step he should do? THANKS

BelizeBreeze

Kristi29 said:
The charge was from 1999... I want to thank everyone who answered me first of all. Now next question....He does need help knowing when he goes to finsh his first 4 yrs of school should he go in ohio or should he wait and go to law school in ohio. This is something I know he has wanted to be for a long time. And the fact he has been in trouble in the past he wants to help people that can't afford a lawyer. What is the next step he should do? THANKS
You're putting the cart before the donkey here. The competition for law school is Fierce. So, although he MAY be admitted to whichever bar association in a state where he decides to practice, that doesn't mean he will be admitted to law school.

First, he must complete the 4-year degree program, THEN if his grades and extracirricular activities and background merit, he MAY be allowed to enroll in law school.

HomeGuru

Kristi29 said:
What is the name of your state? PA.

My question is my brother has one felony but he wants to become a laywer.
Is there any state that he can become one with is felony? I'm thinking there has to be at least one out there that won't hold a small crime against you for the rest of your life. His charge was aggravated asault...I think i spelled that right sorry if I didn't. Can someone please tell me if he can do this, and if so what does he have to do to be able to. THANKS. :rolleyes:

**A: why are you posting rather than your brother? Can't he post for himself?

stevek3

BelizeBreeze said:
You're putting the cart before the donkey here. The competition for law school is Fierce. So, although he MAY be admitted to whichever bar association in a state where he decides to practice, that doesn't mean he will be admitted to law school.

First, he must complete the 4-year degree program, THEN if his grades and extracirricular activities and background merit, he MAY be allowed to enroll in law school.
Four-year degree program? There hasn't been a kid who has graduated in four years since, oh, I don't know...Since Twisted Sister had their last hit.

BelizeBreeze

stevek3 said:
Four-year degree program? There hasn't been a kid who has graduated in four years since, oh, I don't know...Since Twisted Sister had their last hit.
High School at 15, being shot at at 17, college in 2.5 years, Grad School in 1.5 years.

Just ask my ex-girlfriends. I'm VERY FAST!!! :D

Kristi29

I'm posting because he doesn't have a computer...no he's not in jail he works for a pretty well know co. in our area. He hasn't been in trouble for 6yrs. So please don't make accusations you know nothing about. I'm just tring to get all the facts for him unlike other people on this site!! Thank You!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">