• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my deceased mother's friend opened a non-profit corporation using my sisters name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elcofield

What is the name of your state?CA

my mother's friend that has done my sister's taxes for the pass few years has opened a corporation and obtained corporate credit in their names. my sisters admit to talking to her about doing it but never signed any papers or made any verbal agreement to open a company. now they have received credit cards and statements with overdrawn account notices, they are receiving harrassing phone calls from collectors and they want to file a civil suit against the person, but no one will help them over the phone. they have made a police report but they had to do it twice because the police refused to name the person the complaint was about on the report. now the credit card companies won't take their names off the accounts because they can't find the primary account holder to make payments. how can they go about filing a civil lawsuit so that i can just go to the courthouse and get the proper paper work for them to fill out??

S

seniorjudge

elcofield said:
What is the name of your state?CA

my mother's friend that has done my sister's taxes for the pass few years has opened a corporation and obtained corporate credit in their names. my sisters admit to talking to her about doing it but never signed any papers or made any verbal agreement to open a company. now they have received credit cards and statements with overdrawn account notices, they are receiving harrassing phone calls from collectors and they want to file a civil suit against the person, but no one will help them over the phone. they have made a police report but they had to do it twice because the police refused to name the person the complaint was about on the report. now the credit card companies won't take their names off the accounts because they can't find the primary account holder to make payments. how can they go about filing a civil lawsuit so that i can just go to the courthouse and get the proper paper work for them to fill out??

You must hire a lawyer to file a civil lawsuit, unless you know how to do it.

Unfortunately it sounds as if the police are casting it as a business dispute between friends. But if they really did obtain credit in your sister's name without proper authorization it's identity theft. The FTC handles this, I believe.

You also need to call all three credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your sister's account to stop her from authorizing any more credit. You might need a police report to do this, however (catch-22.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">